Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need circuit assisrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoolup

hi guys,
i find myself in a little bind with my new project.
i'm installing a car computer and am in need of a circuit for my touchscreen.
i need a 12v regulator (11v to ~16v - 1A) to power my screen and also a relay circuit to turn the power supply on whn my headunit is on.
i am thinking of powering the relay side off the remote or antenna(150ma limit).
can anyone help me with this two circuits?
thanks

Are you saying that you want a 1A regulator that will make 12V DC output while the input voltage range is 11 to 16V DC? If so, that device is called a "buck-boost switch-mode power supply or regulator" or "DC to DC converter". It is not a project which lends itself to homebuilding because it uses some rather specialized parts. You would be better off buying one.

You will be paying a high price for making 12V out of 11V when the car battery sags that low. Since that only happens if you have a dead battery (or during cranking while starting the engine), I would not turn on the computer until the engine is running. As soon as the alternator comes on-line, the bus voltage will be 13 to 14.6V, so you could get by with just a "low drop-out linear voltage regulator". These are available inexpensively, and homebuilding is practical.

I use the "power antenna" output from an in-dash stereo receiver to power a 12V to 5V regulator for my XM Roady. It should power the coil of a standard "automotive relay" like this one.

Wire the "power antenna" lead to terminal 85 (one end of the coil), ground terminal 86 (other end of coil). Connect fused +12V from battery to terminal 30 (common), hook your high-current load to terminal 87.

btw- have you tried your car computer at 11V. I'll bet it will work just fine. In fact, I wondering why a "car computer" wouldn't work over the normal range of voltages encountered in cars; namely from about 9V during cranking to 14.6V when running. All the stuff I have put in my airplane (12V electrical system just like cars) is rated to operate from 11 to 16V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back