Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advice for buying a flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the flashlight: **broken link removed**

i have a few questions about this flashlight:
1. What output current does the driver give ?
2. What size is the led star 20mm or 16mm ?
3. What size is the mag-lens ?
4. What battery it uses ?

If anybody knows something about this flashlight, please answer.

My son bought a Chinese zoom lens flashlight for me. It cost $4.00 and uses one AA battery cell. It has a pretty big white LED and it works very well.

Look in Google and see all the FAKE Ultrafire 18650 battery cells made in China and sold on ebay. Here is one of the many videos:

This is the flashlight: **broken link removed**

i have a few questions about this flashlight:
1. What output current does the driver give ?
2. What size is the led star 20mm or 16mm ?
3. What size is the mag-lens ?
4. What battery it uses ?

If anybody knows something about this flashlight, please answer.

Hello,

First, it is not a Luxeon Star it is a Cree XML T6 type high power LED.

Second, it only has one Cree XML T6 LED, not three (ie not 3x just 1x).

Third, it is not 2000 Lumen because the highest rated Cree XML T6 is under 1000 Lumen.

Fourth, all that above having been said, it's still one of the brightest single LED flashlights i have ever seen and i do mean bright, not just a little bright. The reason being that is uses a Cree XML LED which is rated something like 9 watts.

The drive current you can expect is around 1.5 amps with a fully charged battery. That comes from the Li-ion battery. They may also give you a charger but if they dont then you have to get one. They may give you the battery they may not. If not you have to get one.

The light i am talking about is probably made by the same company as it looks just the same. I had gotten two for friends and they both were astonished by the brightness. On high if you shine this light at a book to read it you will find it is too bright so you'll have to switch it to low. Switching to low is done by pressing the switch in, then release, then in, then release, then in again and release. So for high you just press the switch in, and for medium you press it in again and release then press it in again before about 2 seconds have passed. To get it to low do the same thing quickly.
To get it to strobe mode, do the same again quickly.
To get to the SOS mode, do the same again quickly.
Doing the same again (pressing in and releasing, then pressing in again) will turn it to high again.

At 1.5 amps the battery does not last extremely long, but it's not too bad i guess. It's good to have two batteries one you are using and one for use later when the first one runs down. They are 18650 type and should have 'button' top not flat top, although flat top may work too because the positive has a spring contact. On low it uses about 400ma. I dont remember what it uses on medium.

One of the interesting things about this light is it is "zoomable" which means you can make the light pattern wide or narrow. A narrow pattern gives you brighter light in a smaller spot, while a wide pattern gives you less light but over wider area which is good for indoors.

You have to realize that the LED die is about a quarter inch square, so there's a lot of radiant area.
Very roughly speaking, set to the tightest 'zoom' pattern the light pattern looks like a square 12 x 12 inches. When zoomed to a wider pattern, it gets rounder.
To zoom the front end glides forward and backward, like a telescope. Total travel is about 1 inch.

I put a Cree XML LED in another light too, and it was so bright i almost could not believe it. Compared to the Luxeon 1 watt Star it makes it look very dim compared to the Cree.
I had a Cree 3 watt in there before, and it is brighter than that too even at about the same drive current.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's, now i only need to know what size is the led star 20mm or 16mm, by that i do not mean the size of the actual led, i mean the heat sink of led (star ) like this:
**broken link removed**

i need to know this because i am planing to insert in this housing an infrared led, and it is on a 20 mm star-heatsink so if this flashlight has an 16mm heatsink then its not good for me.

i am planing to insert in this housing an infrared led, and it is on a 20 mm star-heatsink so if this flashlight has an 16mm heatsink then its not good for me.
Have you looked to see if the infrared LED has about the same voltage drop as the white LED?
The focal point of the lens will be different.

Thanks for the reply's, now i only need to know what size is the led star 20mm or 16mm, by that i do not mean the size of the actual led, i mean the heat sink of led (star ) like this:
**broken link removed**

i need to know this because i am planing to insert in this housing an infrared led, and it is on a 20 mm star-heatsink so if this flashlight has an 16mm heatsink then its not good for me.

Hi,

It looks like 20mm because the housing measures 21.5mm diameter under the lens. I cant be perfectly sure though because to get the LED out i'd have to use a special tool, the kind with two points on it like the kind used to remove "C" rings only use it like a wrench. I dont have that tool and i dont want to take it apart anyway. I can get the lens off though and that exposes the internal body diameter which measures 21.5mm.
I can probably take a photo of this but i think they show one on that site already.

As a side note, the LED measures about 1/8 inch square not 1/4 inch square, i dont know why i thought it was 1/4 inch square, but even 1/8 inch square is a lot of luminous surface area for an LED, so it puts out a lot of light, really. That 1/8 inch square is the luminous surface area not the whole die, so that's a lot of area that lights up.

Last edited:
I hope it is 20 mm led star, i Chose this housing because is small.
The led that i am inserting is osram oslon sfh4715s (oslon black) 3W.
and the t6 led i will use for another flashlight.

and i also Need to know the Driver board Diameter ?
i Need it to be 17 mm
i will wait for a litle while for someone to confirm that it is 20mm star-heatsink.

And i also Need to know the led star-heatsink and Driver Diameter for this flashlight:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi again,

Just curious, you are quoting the part number for an LED chip not a chip mounted on a heat sink. Do you intend to solder to your own heat sink or buy one already soldered to a heat sink/board?
Do they make those chips soldered to heat sink / board for sale?

i am taking out the original t6 led and replasing it with infrared led, i Need it for my night vishion.
the ir led is alredy mounted on 20 mm heat sink, so bevore i by the flashlight i want to know if those flashlights have 20 mm heatsinks.

i am taking out the original t6 led and replasing it with infrared led, i Need it for my night vishion.
the ir led is alredy mounted on 20 mm heat sink, so bevore i by the flashlight i want to know if those flashlights have 20 mm heatsinks.

Night vision?
You can blind somebody by shining your very high power IR beam into their eyes because IR energy produces heat. It is dangerous because it is invisible. Even a reflection is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back