Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a way to delay power off on 24vdc circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrys

I have a 24vdc coil (1.8 w) that I am thinking of putting a capacitor in series with to cause a delay of about 1-2 seconds. First, do you think this would work? Second, if it would, what size would I need to maintain 24v for 1-2 seconds.
This idea might be in far fetched, but I thought I would give it a try. I have a P/E with a 100ma output I am firing the solenoid, but want a 1-2 sec delay for the P/E to clear before I de-energize the coil. I am trying to keep it simple and cheap because I am installing roughly 400 of these.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
What is a a P/E?

It would take a capacitor in PARALLEL with the coil to keep the relay power after the input power goes away. The resistance of the coil is R = e^2/P = 24*24/1.8 = 320Ω, so it would take C = 2/R = 7000uF capacitor to hold in the coil for ~2 sec, which is a huge capacitor. You would also have to consider how long it would take to charge that capacitor from the P/E output, whatever it is? It might be necessary to limit the current into the capacitor, too, because when the P/E switches on, that capacitor is going to look like a dead short.

Offhand, I'd say that this is impractical...

I see .....

Thanks for the insight. It was a shot in the dark. I was hoping to find a cheap tweek on my project, but it will still work as designed with out the delay... I was just trying to same some cycles on the solenoid.

Sorry about the P/E. That is a photo eye (difused). I am using it to sense cases going by on a conveyor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back