Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a small IC or circuit for SPI level translation (5V master to 3.3V devices)

Status
Not open for further replies.
?? I screwed you !!??
That's a little bit severe
Why is the US8 package a problem?

Papabravo, j/k means Just Kidding.

Last edited:
I learned j/k is a flip flop and you learned it means joking :)

I sent you a PM if you are interested in work.

Yea, I saw those "DCT" packages but I didn't think they were SOIC-8, I think unless it goes by another name there seem to be large and small US8 packages.

The distance between pins on the SOIC should be 1.27mm (0.050"), the larger 'dct' package has that dim speced at half that or 0.65mm (0.025"). The smaller DCU is .5mm spacing.

The picture at the top makes the package look like an SOIC8 then a US8, then then whatever that small package is. According to the spec though its large US8, small US8, and then the other.

To answer your question about why us8 is a problem, the prototype pcbs are being made and the pad was drawn to soic8. Its not a huge problem because its an optional part of the board. There are bypass resistors I can use. I probably should have done a more expensive BOM before, but I ran out of time,

What I find very odd is that there seem to be no SOIC-8 no inverting triple buffer packages. Strange.

There are some pin compatible 5V tolerant schmitt trigger buffers in SOIC8, I'll have to see if those will work for SPI (I think it will as long as the propagation and hysteresis match up)

Edit: Nope, apparently now I can't find any SOIC8 schmitts now either.... also, LOL @ my reputation for inappropriate comment :)

Last edited:
'saright -- my skin is actually pretty thick. I was certainly taken in by the pictures and did not look closely at the mechanical drawings. If there is not a market for it then I guess they won't make it. Still I'm a bit surprised.

I'm more then surprised - shocked really.

Its ok, I've decided that to fix problems like this in the future I'll just switch to 3V or 1.8V chips. Should help with power management anyhow,

I left my options on this board open, so I'll try a couple zeners, 5V chips, and maybe some other tricks.... for a larger run I'll just have to use a US8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back