Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a simple circuit,idea to test speed of small motors,such as cassette,8 track,turntable motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

I know of hall sensors,photo sensors.anyone have a circuit that work well?I have oscilloscope and pulse ,frequency counters.
Thanks
Doug

Since you don't know how many windings are in your brushed motor, a scope isn't great help so you'll have to add something to the shaft like a rotary encoder. Or even a piece of white tape with a wide black line on it (parallel with shaft. Then illuminate the tape with IR and use a photo resistor to see the voltage drop each time the black line passes.

To be honest, you can buy ready-made optical tachos so cheaply it's not worth building one..
eg.
**broken link removed**

I've had a similar one for several years. Mine came with a roll of retroreflective tape as well, you just put a small tag of that on the thing you are measuring, if it's not got enough contrast with white paper or normal tape.

Point the IR LED at the shaft w/black line and point the base (lens) of a photo-Darlington transistor at the illuminated shaft. Measure frequency where the meter is attached.

A78A90A9-04EC-4269-B94B-CDD2192A3715.jpeg

I appreciate suggestions and ideas.
I hope the digital meter from china doesn't come with more covid:)
That circuit must be like the vcr sensors
Stay safe
Doug

Make yourself a 60 segment optical disk and put photo-interrupter across it. Then you can use your frequency counter in Hz to read the speed directly in RPM from the photo-interrupter output (ie 1 rev per second = 60rpm)
(I did this to test a lot of small motors recently, worked very well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back