Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need 18 volt 10 ampere dc output circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanveer habib

Hello all, i need 0 to 18 volt variable dc voltage and 0 to 10 ampere current .

can any one provide a circuit for it how to design it and what transformer spec should i use.

How about using a couple of Computer PSU units to get the 18 volts? 5 + 12 with a little tweaking should do the job.

What kind of application is this for?

Do you need variable current limiting?

A completely variable PSU up to those limits is not a simple task, 180W. If its for a bench power supply, I'd simply buy one.

The easiest to build from scratch is a standard linear regulator, BUT -

the transformer will weigh at least 5 pounds
the transformer will cost over $50.00
the regulator will need a fan
The filter capacitors will be large and expensive

https://www.digikey.com/products/en...olumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=500

Have you done anything like this before? What is your skill set for building this device? You can search for lab power supply or bench power supply schematics to see the kinds of circuits used.

ak

Yip, its expensive to make yourself.

I'm gonna step off, and just leave this here:
**broken link removed**

EDIT: Oh, from OP's other threads it seems this is for some sort of commercial application for battery charging. So a bench supply isn't helpful in this case...unless you buy and copy one.

Last edited:
How about using a couple of Computer PSU units to get the 18 volts? 5 + 12 with a little tweaking should do the job.
that might not work. the grounds will tie together at the wall outlet.

Post #8 and Post #9. I said use a couple of PSU units. You can make the outputs floating and add them up.

Post #8 and Post #9. I said use a couple of PSU units. You can make the outputs floating and add them up.
I missed that (or read it as a couple of PSU outputs). Point to you.

Note, the combined output will have poor regulation and noise performance, both outside the ATX spec. Also, there is a chance that one or both outputs will oscillate under some load conditions as the two control loops get into a fight.

ak

I missed that (or read it as a couple of PSU outputs). Point to you.

Note, the combined output will have poor regulation and noise performance, both outside the ATX spec. Also, there is a chance that one or both outputs will oscillate under some load conditions as the two control loops get into a fight.

ak

Yes. That's a possibility. Did'nt strike me :D

I have stacked up (outputs connected in serial) commercial, medical, and MIL power supplies. I always got them to work, but it usually was an effort. Noise always was an issue, and systems with remote sense were tricky.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back