Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mystery components

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidar

Hi all.

I'm quite new to the world of electronics, but when I showed interest my father gave me a bunch of old ICs and stuff he had collected in his days as a TV repairman. Among dozens of useful stuff I found a couple of tidbits that I haven't been able to identify. Picture (of admittedly inferior quality) attached. Can anyone offer some insight as to what these things are?

The leftmost one is a NEC "PRAD-2" chip with 8 strangely spaced legs.

The middle one is a golden IC marked with "S5400F" (I'm suspecting that this might be a quad NAND gate)

The rightmost one is a strange little thingy that came with a small plastic cap with two holes in it.

Any takers? I can dig out a better camera if anyone needs or would like a closer look. :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• mysterycomponents.jpg
    mysterycomponents.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 184
The NEC "chip" looks like a reed relay

The golden chip probably is as you surmised.

The last one looks to be a spark gap of some kind

Ah, the NEC is indeed a reed relay. Thanks. :)

While the last one sure does look like a spark gap of sorts, the somewhat flimsy construction suggests (to me, at least) that it's not. Its base and "cap" is made of pretty thin plastic, and I always envisioned spark gaps to be somewhat more sturdy-looking. Also, would a spark inside a tiny "box" be useful anything? (Measure the resistance of the air and detect the presence of gas? Generate ozone? I have no idea. ;) )

I also have some reed relays laying around. Somebody here knows the pinout?

Grossel: For what it's worth, mine was like this:
Code:
14  13     9  8
 |            |
 |------------|
 |  .-@@@@-.  |
 |  |      |  |
 1  2      6  7
(Legs 9 and 13 were present but apparently not connected to anything.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back