Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Preachy moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

This has often bothered me. Say you have a guy or gal that is of the up most character. He or she leads a perfect life in almost everyway. Donates to charity, gives his or her time to help the needy, and even gives his or her wealth to help those in need. This person never lies, never deceives, and by most accounts, is an angel.

Now lets suppose this person is of the Caa Caa Poo Poo faith, only practiced in one part of the world, but after all this is the faith he or she was raised in (Lets make it a she for now on), now we have Muslim, Hindu, Catholic, protestant, Jewish. Etc...

When it comes time for her to meet her demise and visit the afterlife, would she be punished if the true divine was Hindu or Catholic and she worshipped the Caa Caa Poo Poo?

Surely the divine would not punish her for her geographic upbringing, surely as a child of the divine as she was, she would be judged by her actions would she not?

I really do not understand the great divides that nations create based on religion and beliefs. Is it not more important that the conduct meet a standard of moral code?

I suppose when religions really divide such as dress code, and presentation of oneself, the divide might remain in dispute, but is it not the overall goal of religion and life to dictate a moral code that depicts us in a manner the brings us closer to being divine. How could the divine creator punish the Caa Caa Poo Poo for the miswriting of their ancestors. The big scheme of things, the great creator must surely be just, so why such wars exist over religion I do not understand.

It's simple. They can't. I dare anyone to challenge me on this be able to maintain their belief's worth as belief. A higher power worthy of such a name is supposed to know good enough to not have a rigid set of rules that are so rigid yet so flawed...heck, we don't even have those here. Ever seen the movie Dogma? Rufus makes some good points in that.

If it makes you more comfortable...it's something people have come into contact with, and people are fallible. We are able to screw up anything, and as a result, I think open minded is best.

Last edited:
Mike, you're trying to invoke logic and faith in the same thread, please immediately cover yourself in gasoline and light yourself on fire just for trying to make sense of it!

No but really, very little religion actually has anything to do with religious belief in the first place, it's more a thin veil over the real purpose, which is politics, nothing more. They only reason one church decries the activities of anyone or anything else is either from fear of the group in question being different, or from the possible loss of it's power base from a competing faith. Religion is BIG business.

My personal beliefs are that just about all churches are fundamentally evil by the tenets of their own religion when you get right down to it, I think heavily organized religion is just a horrible idea. I do make some exceptions to that because there are many small local churches in various areas that simply try to do good work and really mean it without excessive preaching or demanding conversion and all the fire and brimstone. They just want to help people, groups like that are far and few between though.

Last edited:
.... and to top it all off, they somehow all worship the same higher power.

Dumb post deleted...

It is true, we all worship the same higher power. We may believe or not, but damn some things are to extradonary to chaulk up to evolution. I am a biology major for petes sakes, and the more I study, the more I think, damn... Someone must have had a good set of prints.

Last edited:
Dumb post deleted...

It is true, we all worship the same higher power. We may believe or not, but damn some things are to extradonary to chaulk up to evolution. I am a biology major for petes sakes, and the more I study, the more I think, damn... Someone must have had a good set of prints.

Evolution and creation are not necessarily the same thing either. I also think there is a fine line dividing the belief that something can occur that we don't understand and something that could only occur with extraordinary intervention.

Last edited:
Here is what I do not believe, The earth was created 4000 yrs ago. It was not created in 7 days. The mother of our children was not spawned from a rib of the man. I do believe however that some greater force than I understand was behind our creation. Sorry to say I do not know what, how or why. Maybe a science test for the divine...

Not that I'm trying to shoot down any persons of faith, or anyone's ideals, but make sure you do a good study about chaos theory and the illusion of intelligence behind structure. The human mind looks for patterns everywhere, and the fear of death and the unknown will trick us into believing any number of things that aren't true such as there having to be intelligent design behind the complexity of life.

Here is what I do not believe, The earth was created 4000 yrs ago. It was not created in 7 days. The mother of our children was not spawned from a rib of the man. I do believe however that some greater force than I understand was behind our creation. Sorry to say I do not know what, how or why. Maybe a science test for the divine...

hi Mike,
The way I handle it is; a force created the Universe.

Give whatever name you like to this force/creator...God, the rest, since that instant is just evolution.

You can gather from that, I am not a religious person, however I do believe the Unverse was created,
which obviously it must have been else we wouldnt be chatting.:)

By thinking this way, science just becomes a byproduct of evolution and there is no conflict of beliefs.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy to concede that life on Earth may originally have been influenced by a higher form of life. That entity may have also influenced things along the way--introduced extinctions, altered conditions slightly, and so on. I'm not saying I believe that this happened, just that I can't say for sure that it didn't--no evidence either way.

The problem for me would then be: how did that higher being come about? Would it have existed prior to the creation of the universe? Or did it arise later, perhaps itself helped along by an earlier, higher power? In either case, what processes would have been involved? And what came first, and why?

"It's turtles all the way down."

In any event, my answer to the original question of how the different religions reconcile their differences is simple: they don't. Everybody else is simply wrong. ;)

Torben

In any event, my answer to the original question of how the different religions reconcile their differences is simple: they don't. Everybody else is simply wrong. ;)

This is the part that wrestles through my mind. It seems so silly for countries to war over...

Here is an idea for countries. How about I don't pee on your rose bush and you don't crap on my tulips...

This is the part that wrestles through my mind. It seems so silly for countries to war over...

Yup, it's more than a little maddening.

One of my favourite little bits of short fiction: **broken link removed**

Torben

I think the Bible was intended as a guide book, not a set of laws and rules. The multimillion dollar churches and ministries take advantage, manipulate, and abuse the word, for profit and power. People naturally fear the unknown, usually safe than sorry, bigger is always better. So it's better open up the wallet, and follow the largest crowd. I lost all interest in going to church many years ago, mostly got tired of the many pleas for money throughout the service.
Don't know if there really is a life after death, only that I'm going to find out for sure eventually. Most faiths carry the same basics in their Bibles, so doubt it'll matter all that much which church you belong to, just whether or not you knowing do bad things.

Religion isn't such a bad thing, just have to avoid bad people who use it to gain advantage over others.

Here is an idea for countries. How about I don't pee on your rose bush and you don't crap on my tulips...

I think this sentiment is nicely summarised in the deeply phylosophical film Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure:

"Be excellent to each other!"

JimB

We think way too much of ourselves as orginisms, people and countries.

Given the vastness of all that is, the probility is that everything will happen somewhere. With or without a god force.

We consistantly underestimate the dervisity of everything. At one time we figured the ocean bottom was flat. Space was mostly empty. etc.

We are pimples.....

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back