Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my internal parallel cable is screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

I have discovered that my problem is narrowed down to the internal parallel port cable in my award P1 PC. Basically, the motherboard delivers the port as two rows of pins (more like a bunch of 2-pin jumpers connected together side-by-side). I have a cable which converts this into a parallel port connection. It seems that this cable could be the culprit, because I tested one connection on it (I think parallel pin 22), and it is open.

Is it always safe to connect pins 18-25 to ground, even if I have a printer attached? or are these pins used by some manufacturers for other purposes? If it is safe, I'm tempted to directly solder those 7 pins on my motherboard together.

If that's one of the ground pins?, and it sounds like it is, then it won't make any difference - they are all simply connected together anyway.

You've blown the chip, you need a new motherboard!.

Not sure if you have seen this page, but it is a wealth of information, including programming info, and specs of various I/O chips used for parallel ports.

**broken link removed**

well... it is always possible to install LPT card...
it is definitelly cheaper way out than changing motherboard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back