Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My dog...

Status
Not open for further replies.
stop puting his food in the garbage can :D

ever thought of puting a chock device on the garbage can it keeps bulls in the padock so it should keep dogs out of the garbage can

Robert-Jan

what about the rat zapper device you did create :D ever tried that one????

Last edited:
stop puting his food in the garbage can :D

ever thought of puting a chock device on the garbage can it keeps bulls in the padock so it should keep dogs out of the garbage can

Robert-Jan

what about the rat zapper device you did create :D ever tried that one????

Have been tempt to hook up a shocking device, but I don't want to hurt him. With the rats, I tried to get a lethal charge. For the dog, I'd have to really down size it.

Going to try spraying a tiny amount of ammonia in there before work, hopefully he'll find the scent unpleasant enough to leave it alone, or at least, mask anything he might be attracted to. I don't have much of a kitchen, and very little cabinet space. Under the sink, is where I store chemicals he definitely shouldn't be playing with.

Yesterday, he got into the trash while I was out mowing the lawn. Took him out and put him on a 20 foot chain while I finished the job. He actually showed some signs of knowing he did something wrong. Anyway, it's something I need to be patient with, he's still kind of young. Being a big dog, it's tough to remember that he still needs to develop mentally. I won't beat on him, don't want to cause him an pain. Kind of sucks right now, but he'll be a better dog later. I don't want him to respond out of fear, but because he knows its right. The last one turned out great, think this one can do even better. Just a matter of time and patience.

Yeah patience is best. He still in the learning stage and will learn from you as your bond grows to the best of friendship. When you see him go near the trash can just remind him in your disapproving voice :( I am not fond of using electrical shock as it makes me walk funny:)

Last edited:
I really hate getting shock myself, don't usually mess with stuff that might bite if I'm a little careless. An electrified trash can is just begging to zap me.

Thinking maybe it's not the food or the treats, but maybe a little boredom. He doesn't seem to be the least curious about the sound toy so far. Need to make it louder, and work on the frequency range a little. Wish I could figure out some sort of puzzle box full of treats for him to figure out. Unfortunately wood and plastic are no match, and metal would do more harm then good. Something to think on.

Going to try spraying a tiny amount of ammonia in there before work, hopefully he'll find the scent unpleasant enough to leave it alone, or at least, mask anything he might be attracted to.
I am not sure if ammonia is the right choice. If in his mind it is close enought to dog pee he may feel the need to mark it himself.

What sort of traing are doing ? My experiance is that traing is as much about teaching poeple about dogs as it traing the dog.

Harvey, if you also want to try the bitters route, I've used, and tested, a product before, but I don't know if you will get it in your woods.
It's made by Avert, called bitters solution, a non-toxic concentrated bitters solution.
It's really disgusting, I managed to accidentally test it on myself. It's really good to turn your stomach, but a proven animal product. Even separates fighting dogs that does not want to let go.
It's sold here for R65, so should be quite cheap in pounds or dollars.

Just make sure to use a gas mask of some sort when applying, trust me.

I am not sure if ammonia is the right choice. If in his mind it is close enought to dog pee he may feel the need to mark it himself.

What sort of traing are doing ? My experiance is that traing is as much about teaching poeple about dogs as it traing the dog.

He hasn't had a problem holding it until he can go outside, since the first couple of weeks after I got him. Doesn't leave the solids in our yard, unless it's urgent. Guess we'll see if he doesn't know the difference. Reasonably sure he won't make that mistake. Doesn't pee on or near the toilet, and he's seen me use it many times.

I've got a pretty good handle on the training, last one turned out well. This one is just at a rough age. I've read about all kinds of tricks and shortcuts to get a certain desired result, but some seem a little cruel, others tend to abuse the dog's trust in your judgment. Basically, if you can anticipate a problem, and stop it he'll learn not to do it in the first place. Correcting after the fact, doesn't really do much. He knows your pissed, but not too sure about why, even if you rub his nose in it. Could have been hours ago, long forgotten, dog just learns you have a mean streak.

Walking him... Well, mostly I just let him do his thing, it's for his benefit. But, if gets into pulling and tugging, we change directions, take a different route. New territory, which needs to be explored more slowly and carefully. Also gets him off the scent trail, which I believe is why he feels a sense of urgency. When he's pulling to the sides of the path, or we are near people, or other pets, I shorten the leash, to where he needs to stay close to my legs. Yeah, he gets kicked occasionally trying to cross over in front of me, his choice, he'll learn.

Sit, lay down, and up...
Sitting, started by getting him to take the position, holding a treat in my closed hand, speak the command. If he stays in position and focused on my fist (of course, he knows there is a treat wait), he gets the treat. After he got that, I snap my fingers and speak the command, and hold up the closed hand, no treat, he gets it later.
Laying down, started with the treat in my hand, but one finger pointing down, speak the command. At first I need to actually touch the floor, holding the treat down where he can't get to it, without laying down. Sometimes had to help him into position.
The up part gets him up from laying down, but usually he sits, same as the last dog, but not a big deal.

After they get the positions and commands, they have to do multiples to get a treat, and eventually need to go through the whole routine, in whatever order I choose. Jake responds to either voice or hand gestures well, but a little slow when distracted (in public, visitors), but takes the proper position eventually. Should improve with maturity, did with the last one. Same with getting him to stay, and not follow until told. Just not ready yet, still has a short attention span.

There's a few more things, and I've had some success of assigning commands to some of the behaviors I observed, and thought amusing or useful.

I'm by no means an expert, nor what works for me, is guaranteed to work for other people, probably left out a few details, that I don't even think about when doing. But I do have some experience with animals. Figured I share a little, might help.

I still say to bring that mutt up close to your 'puter monitor - I'll do the rest!;) vvvvvvvvvvv

@HarveyH42
Sounds like you have things well in hand.

As long as it knows you are the alpha it should be OK.

The one thing that many do not get is that the dog needs to bond, if it does not get to bond with the owner/family it will not be anything you want to have around. It is a pack animal, needs to be part of the family.

We had a nieghbor who got a dog for their son on the advice of a theraphist. They kept the dog chained to a post in the back yard. Feed it often enough but seldom played with it. The poor thing about went nuts. The house was too spotless to have the dog inside, IMHO the occupants were not too far behind the dog.

I keep my pets inside (what's the point of having them otherwise). I walk the dog twice or more daily, even in the rain (but try to avoid it). Take him with me where ever he's welcome. It's been to hot to take him anywhere in the truck, and let him stay in there while I shop, bank, or anything like that. But will, when it's healthy for him. Don't think he has any questions about the Alpha male stuff. I stand about 6'4", around 200 lbs. He has to really work at it, if he wants to try and pull me anywhere. Tends to do a lot of running in place, when on his leash, but not that often anymore, cats mostly.

This lab is definitely interested in a larger pack, instead of just the two of us. Hoping, he will get past that eventually. Every dog he's ever played with, was more of a test. Most of the ritual is harmless enough, but when it gets down to the attempted sodomy... that's a little disturbing. He shouldn't even be old enough to successfully breed yet, maybe another 5-6 months. Fortunately, he has tried that crap on me, but maybe he just didn't have the chance. I was pretty firm about the jumping up stuff from the beginning. My last dog could knock people down pretty easy at 12 months, so didn't want to through that with this one. He still does it with strangers, and my mom, but seems to know when he's going to be pushed aside.

I only chain mine for a bath, or briefly when he's been really bad or a flight risk. Have a half door on the kitchen, and will lock him in or out, if I'm doing something that doesn't require his kind of help (power tools). I don't allow him in the room with my electronics stuff, barely room too walk anyway.

Well after reading this thread (the title :p) I took a picture of my dogs.

One on the left is Lilly and on the right is Reggie. Reggie has a huge underbite and stands with his feet facing inwards all the way or outwards all the way.

Attachments

• dogs.jpg
    dogs.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 265
WTH??? Krummy, were you in my house when you took that picture? My two dogs look virtually the same!!!!:eek:
The only difference is that my dark chocolate Shi Tzu is a runt, quite small. And both of mine are cuter than yours!:p
;)

And BTW, get rid of that DSL filter dongle I see hanging off the wall plate behind the chair. Get yourself a whole house DSL/POTS Splitter-Filter. It will increase your speed greatly.

Last edited:
I thought he snagged a couple Ewoks off the set of Star Wars :)

Last edited:
Very cute, but a bit small for SA conditions.:)
The Goldie is named Jenna, she's very pedigree goldie, we try to keep her paws on earth.
Labby is named Akeysha, she's very active, loves to irritate my daughter, she also kinda herds her when she wants to walk. Very funny.

If you're wondering, they are enjoying some cow hoofs as a snack.

Attachments

• DSCN0056.jpg
    DSCN0056.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCN0057.jpg
    DSCN0057.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 245
WTH??? Krummy, were you in my house when you took that picture? My two dogs look virtually the same!!!!:eek:
The only difference is that my dark chocolate Shi Tzu is a runt, quite small. And both of mine are cuter than yours!:p
;)

And BTW, get rid of that DSL filter dongle I see hanging off the wall plate behind the chair. Get yourself a whole house DSL/POTS Splitter-Filter. It will increase your speed greatly.

That is remmenant of our DSL line when we had DSL. Nobody took it off. Did you not see the thick cable coming out of the wall below it?

I feel I need to jump on the dog wagon here. My pooch, she use to do this smile thing. Lost her a few years back due to complications with diabetes. I think over her last 4 years of life I spent about $20 grand in Vet bills trying to save her.
:(

Not trying to be a bummer...

Attachments

• ducky.jpg
    ducky.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 254
Since were on the subject of dogs. My wife has been bugging for months to get a new dog. I keep telling her my old friend might get sad in doggy heaven if I replace her. The thing about my doggy is I had her long before I got married, so my emotional attachment was much stronger.

Anyways, seeing this thread has made me decide to give in a get a dog. I live in a Condo so I can't get a large dog, so I been thinking a Beagle, they seem to be a good size for a condo and kinda look cute. Anyone have experience with a Beagle? Actually I do not want a purebreed as my last dog was. Purebreeds have to many problems. I also like that dog on the Frasier show. Is the a Jack Russell?

Also, are there any dog buying tips. I thought of the pound but most dogs there are huge.

Hey mikebits.

Sorry I'm not familiar with that "brand".
I have a very accurate dog encyclopaedia, but can't find it.
Must be still boxed since our move.

Would have liked to help.

Also, are there any dog buying tips. I thought of the pound but most dogs there are huge.

Depends what kind of dog you want?, if you want a pedigree dog, then they cost a lot of money - in the UK I would suggest you DON'T go to the RSPCA - they just rip you off.

A friends childs hamster died the other week, so they though they would look at the RSPCA for a replacement - the RSPCA wanted £50 for a hamster!. We found the same years back when looking for a cat, so we went to the "Cats Protection League" instead, where they give cat's free to good homes (but they come out and check you first).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back