Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mustang tail light sequencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikew9242

I'm trying to build a circuit that will sequence the three 12v turn signal tail light bulbs (just like the old Cougars) for my 2000 Mustang. Any and all ideas are welcome and appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Well it sounds straightforward enough, can you illustrate/describe/link the desired lamp sequence better for not all of us are famaliar with the old Cougar.

The Pic brigade should be able to handle this one in thier stride and add a few whistles and bells to boot, those of us old enough to recall the tv series "Knight Rider" probably have a circuit using a 4017 (decade counter) in the scrap book. (Personally I was allways a "Dukes of Hazzard" fan but a MkIII Ford Cortina in orange was not quite the same..) Going old school it may even be implemented with relays.

I think the cougar had three vertical lights on left and right, that lit inside first, 300msec (some delay) then lit the next one (middle), leaving the inside one on, then 300msec later lit the last one (so all are on).. Then all off, delay and repeat. Sort of like shampoo.. And they might have had more than 3 lights.

Maybe use LEDS and shape them as arrows :)

I would get a PIC 12F509 (small 8 pin chip and do it), but you are probably not looking for something like that as you need a programmer, etc. to do it.

There was a temperature control circuit thread here in the last day that should have the parts for a descrete one.

You could also use a binary count of 0, 1, 3, 7 then repeat. this gives:
restart

Use the outputs of the counter to drive FET's and you are all set. Get the clock frequency right and the sequence will happen at the right speed. Gate the outputs so they blank after reaching 7, but keep counting to 15 then reset. Since the clock rate is fixed, getting to 15 will take twice the time as 7, so half the time the outputs will be off, giving the full off time between cycles.

You could do this with a 4029 counter, a 555 for clock ( or an inverter 40106 ) and maybe a 4070 xor to gate the outputs when counting from 8-15.

Hey guys, I really am a novice. Best I can do is build the thing from a diagram. Mramos1 is correct on how the circuit functions. Will the circuit zevon8 describes accomplish it and any chance someone might draw it for me? Mike

mikew9242 said:
Hey guys, I really am a novice. Best I can do is build the thing from a diagram. Mramos1 is correct on how the circuit functions. Will the circuit zevon8 describes accomplish it and any chance someone might draw it for me? Mike

Like this?
Tail.gif

You just need to modificate the circuit #2 I've drew that post.

I'll assume you know how to make a 555 work in astable mode:
tails.gif

Thanks Hayato, I didn't have time to draw it earlier, and yes a Johnson counter would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back