Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplexed Digital Decimal Display!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon.h

Hi there, I wonder if any one can advise me on my design of multiplexed digital display. My design uses 4 x BCD to a 16-to-4 multiplexer, that is then connected to a 4-to-7 decoder-driver then to 4-seven segment displays, then to a 4-to-1 multiplexer, phew! Is this as efficient as it could be? Does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks!

Leon.h said:
Hi there, I wonder if any one can advise me on my design of multiplexed digital display. My design uses 4 x BCD to a 16-to-4 multiplexer, that is then connected to a 4-to-7 decoder-driver then to 4-seven segment displays, then to a 4-to-1 multiplexer, phew! Is this as efficient as it could be? Does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks!

What is the design actually doing? - one 18 pin PIC could probably replace most of it, certainly it could easily feed 4x7 segment displays, with nothing more than a few small driver transistors and series resistors for the LED's.

I agree, you have way to much logic. I usually use a port / resistor to drive the display and a transistor to sink the current. Then I just scan through my digits. If I am really tight on pins, I might use a serial shift register to store the 7 digits, or 12 bits to store 7 digits and a control line for each transistor, then it only takes 2-3 lines to run the display.

Leon.h,
Do you want to use a PIC or logic hardware?

If you want to use a PIC, the electronics magazines often have PICs with mulitplexed displays. If you want to do it using logic ICs, then we can help.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back