Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple Power Sources Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhmjeep

I am guessing that this is going to be a no-brainer for some of you...

I am just getting into ham radio and want to get involved with eComm (Emergency Communications) and need to build a "Jump Kit".

The Jump-Kit will house several radios, meters, lights, etc... some radios are DC, some radios are AC. I plan on using two 12v batteries (just good old car batteries) for a power source when AC power is not avialable.

I understand how to power everything from AC or DC and how to switch ack and forth using a power inverter.

What I want to build is this:
1. Fully automated power source selector that charges the batteries when plugged into AC power and then uses the batteries when no AC is avial.

2. Single on/off switch for the whole thing.

3. Completely portable in a sealed "Pelican" type case. (case open during operation for ventilation and heat of course!!)

4. Power conditioner incase plugged into a gas generator

What other information do I need to provide?

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks,

Mike

Your technical background and abilities =) That's a heafty little project.

I was hoping that I could get by with off the shelf stuff.

My background is slim to none eletronic wise.... I can put in car stereos and add new circuits and breakers to a house etc....

I was thinking along the lines of a computer/server UPS but with DC also...

Big project huh.... OK. Thinking cap back on......

Thanks!

Mike

Most Ham Radio equipment today of the mobile or bench type trancievers operate on a nominal 13.8VDC. If you have a charger that is set to near that voltage and run all the gear off the batteries it will be very easy. If you get used to using Anderson powerpole connectors there are a number of manufacturers of 12VDC fused power panels. You can use LED's or 12V auto bulbs for light.

If you're willing to void your warranty and don't mind a minor modification, find a decent UPS that will meet your needs, pop the case open find an open spot on the side drill a mounting hole for an electrical connector of your choice and wire it directly to the battery, use a fuse and a diode perhaps to prevent external devices from charging the battery and you should be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back