Multiple logic IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

richacm

Hi,

Are there any chips out there that have all the following on 1 chip?

AND gate
NAND gate
2 AND gates with inverted inputs.

The reason I ask is I need to free up a couple of pins on my PIC chip. I am currently outputing 4 different values on 4 pins. What I want to do is output the 4 different values on 2 pins and use these gates to get the 4 results...i.e.
0 + 0 = 1
0 + 1 = 2
1 + 0 = 3
1 + 1 = 4

NAND is the first, AND with 2nd inverted input is second, AND with first inverted input is third, and AND is fourth.

I suppose I could do it with 2 NOT gates and 4 AND gates.

Cheers,

Craig

Last edited:
Quite interesting but I would probably still need a few of these to do the job I want. I would rather do it with 1 extra chip.

Now thats a pretty nice chip! Bit of an over kill for what I'm doing though - it kinds of also leads to the point of why not just by another cheap as PIC chip and program that.

What I am going to do though is remove 6 other pins I used for a 8bit wide bus and instead use a shift register to store this. I will then only need 2 pins to do this.

Thanks for the info though.

@Mike: I have not seen any PAL's or GALs for a long time. My HS uses them, but I am going to persuade the teachers and the school board to stop using GALs, as they are completely left behind as compared to microcontrollers.

I would go for the 74xx08 and the 74xx04, as it is small and not a GAL, as then you would have to get a programmer, etc.

An ISP Gal device eliminates the need for any fancy programmer. Only a PC is needed.

My HS uses them, but I am going to persuade the teachers and the school board to stop using GALs, as they are completely left behind as compared to microcontrollers.

I would like to hear the response you get after making this proposal.

Looks like a 74HC238 might do the trick for you:

you beat me to it. I just saw the demux chips. I'm going to use the HCF4028 instead though as I want High states.

Cheers,

Craig

you beat me to it. I just saw the demux chips. I'm going to use the HCF4028 instead though as I want High states.
Cheers,
Craig
The 74HC238 will give you active high outputs. The 74HC138 will give active low outputs. The HCF4028 is also a good choice. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…