Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eight logic gates in one IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi All,

NXP semiconductors (Philips) has developed a low power configurable multiple function gate.

IC-Name is 74AUP1G97.

These are the possible configurations:
- 2 input MUX
- 2 input AND
- 2 input NAND
- 2 input NOR
- 2 input OR with one input inverted
- 2 input OR
- Inverter
- Buffer

Attached is the functional diagram.

Full data sheet with application sample circuits available at NXP Semiconductors

Boncuk

Last edited:
That looks kinda cool, logic function on the fly.

In future it will be more cheap if you all do the logic functions in one micro controller :)

... but still means the micro controller has to be served the way "he" understands. Otherwise "he" still will have digestion problems. :)

The chip is simple and elegant. I am sure it will find its place in this coded world.

The chip is simple and elegant. I am sure it will find its place in this coded world.
Even with this chip, one has to program it (configure) the wanted function.

The coded world would enter Children’s education, if not, already there. Thus, in future, code would not be so serious an issue. However if comes to configuration by hardware, perhaps it would be simpler.

Incidentally they are 3.3V devices with a max Vcc of 3.6V, and a 6pin SMD

Last edited:
Even with this chip, one has to program it (configure) the wanted function.

This is not a programmable chip. What it does depends on how it is connected to (wired into) your circuit.

As long as the logic gates it replaces are less expensive the only reason for using this chip would be to reduce the number of different parts in inventory.

Along the line of what Gayan was saying an 8 pin uC and do much more. A circuit using a uC for logic can be altered/repaired by making a code change too. But you have to program it.

Hi mvs sarma and 3v0,

from my understanding I think both of you are right. Programming doesn't only mean writing a program into a micro processor. It also means to wire logic for the intended application, which I think is some kind of programming too.

It would be ridiculous to waste two input pins of a micro processor just for one desired function and use another one instead and connect the sensors, switches or whatever to a logic gate and save one valueable input port pin.

I also think that chip has some advantages over those with just one function, e.g. during experiments you change your mind to use a NOR gate instead of an OR gate. Simply change wires and you're done.

Boncuk

Hi mvs sarma and 3v0,

from my understanding I think both of you are right. Programming doesn't only mean writing a program into a micro processor. It also means to wire logic for the intended application, which I think is some kind of programming too.

It would be ridiculous to waste two input pins of a micro processor just for one desired function and use another one instead and connect the sensors, switches or whatever to a logic gate and save one valuable input port pin.

I also think that chip has some advantages over those with just one function, e.g. during experiments you change your mind to use a NOR gate instead of an OR gate. Simply change wires and you're done.

Boncuk
Yes Boncuk, I appreciate a single gate chip with selective options. These can well be used in consumer and robotics where bulk production is done. for general interest and for hobby levels, normal chips are cheap and easily accessibly in one off levels. For example, I can get a 74HC00 or HC04 for $0.1 around at one off purchase. While getting these new single gate SMDs is rather difficult at small quantities of say 20 even, within a country like India, where, as on date the component availability is not really that bad. M/s NXP won't sell loose and we have to order one reel of any such products and even then we have to really search.

On international market supplies, the packing forwarding and transport charges are exorbitant.

Finally you may accept that we may not really need that level of miniaturization. On overall , I do accept that single gates have come to stay.

YThese can well be used in consumer and robotics where bulk production is done. for general interest and for hobby levels, normal chips are cheap and easily accessibly in one off levels.

Engineers who design consumer products work hard to drive the material and production cost down. Cutting a few cents here and there can make the difference between a success and failure. They will not use this part to replace a less expensive one. There is no up side.

Clever but kind of expensive.... for example a quad AND gate is $0.13 or less while the same function using this part would be $1.28.

Clever but kind of expensive.... for example a quad AND gate is $0.13 or less while the same function using this part would be $1.28.

Where did you find that price? Digikey offers them made by TI and NXP ranging from 0.082333 to 0.33 €. To calculatate for US$ multiply by 1.5

My digi-key catalog show these guys going for 12 cents per 3,000 units. From a company view, this is a great money saver. I have seen single gate parts used on many designs. With that said, reeling one tape versus multiple reels is a cost savings. From a purchasing angle, instead of buying 1500 AND gate devices, and 1500 OR devices at the lower volume price, they now can purchase 3000 multi-logic parts at the 3000 unit price. Seems like a big money saver to me.

Also I am sure some clever engineers, will find ways to use these parts to switch logic on the fly in a operational circuit in a as needed basis. To me, this is a cool part :)

Thanks for sharing the info Boncuk...

Last edited:
I got the price (US$0.29) from the NXP website. I multiplied that by 4 to compare with quad gates.

I guess the price will drop as it did with the "normal" logic gates too. When I started with TTL-chips a quad dual input NAND gate was US$ 1.20. (About the same time one KB of memory was 1 US$, meaning a RAM space of 512KB was exactly 512US$!!! :rolleyes: ;almost unaffordable.)

Industry calculates prices for a fast break even point. So I'm not worried that this device will be cheaper in the near future.

I didn't mean to plan those devices in a real project - nevertheless they seem to me quite valuable for bench tests and experiments.

Therefore I will design a small PCB to stick onto a breedboard and program each available function using jumpers.

Hans

We have a pick and place machine. To use reeled components we need a feeder for each type of component. At the moment, feeders are about £230.

3000 of the SN74AUP1G97DCKR cost £0.071 each

3000 of the SN74AUP1G00DCKR cost £0.061 each. The same price applies for most single function gates. Prices from uk.farnell.com

If I have two different gates on one design, I could save £0.02 per item if I use the single function gates, or save £230 in capital cost of feeders.

Break-even is at about 12,000 units, so the universal device makes a lot of sense in this case.

We have a similar situation where the design calls for a 36 V zenner and an 18 V zenner. I've allowed for two zenners in series as an alternative to the 36 V zenner, and we fit two 18 V zenners in series.

That saves us one feeder and costs us 1 zenner per board. Break-even is at about 25,000 units, where we expect to make about 1,000 to 2,000 per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back