Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multimeter with panel meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

therooster

I need to mount a digital panel meter in a small enclosure and use it to monitor the voltage and amperage that a pc board in the enclosure is producing.

The item I am making is a 4-20 0-10 volt power source used to test and check various actuators, sensors etc....

Its basically a small power supply.

Anyhow I am using a switch to switch the output from 0-10v out to 4-20ma out and vice versa.....

I can fiqure out how to monitor the voltage but I get stuck when trying to fiqure a way to monitor the current.

Does anyone have a circuit for a multimeter using a panel meter that will do both volts and amps.

I know there used to be some multimeter on a chip schematics out on the net before but I cant seem to find them now....dont even have a clue as to the chip number.....

If someone could talk me thru this...or point out a schematic somewhere on the net where I can get some general ideas from I would appreciate it.

thanks

If you measure the voltage across a known resistance, you can work out the current from Ohm's Law. V = IR so I = V/R.

If you put the current across a well-known small-value shunt resistor you should be able to work out the current. I am not sure how accurate this is at 20mA, though.

How much stuff do you intend to run from a power supply spec'd for 20mA?

Torben

I need to mount a digital panel meter in a small enclosure and use it to monitor the voltage and amperage that a pc board in the enclosure is producing.

The item I am making is a 4-20 0-10 volt power source used to test and check various actuators, sensors etc....

Its basically a small power supply.

Anyhow I am using a switch to switch the output from 0-10v out to 4-20ma out and vice versa.....

I can fiqure out how to monitor the voltage but I get stuck when trying to fiqure a way to monitor the current.

Does anyone have a circuit for a multimeter using a panel meter that will do both volts and amps.

I know there used to be some multimeter on a chip schematics out on the net before but I cant seem to find them now....dont even have a clue as to the chip number.....

If someone could talk me thru this...or point out a schematic somewhere on the net where I can get some general ideas from I would appreciate it.

thanks

How is it you are using a 4-20 loop, without even googling?
https://www.sensorland.com/HowPage028.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_loop

at any rate, Torben has the correct answer; measure the voltage across a shunt resistor to get your current. (This is how meters do it anyway.)

Perhaps the chip you were thinking of is the ICL7106 3+1/2 Digit LCD Driver with A/D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back