Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

axro

If I have a 6 volt power supply, and a 2.7K ohm resitor. There is nothing in the circuit but the resistor. If I put my multimeter in Amp mode on the 20mA setting and I measure inline with the circuit(1 lead on the + from the power supply and 1 lead on one end of the resistor) I should get a reading correct?

I don't know if there is something wrong with my multimeter or what, but I don't get a reading on any of the settings. I do get one if I put it on the 10A setting(the + testing lead goes in a different port) and measure across the power supply. I know thats not good, but i get a reading on that. Any help?

Fuse is good. I guess the other thing I should have said is that if I put an LED in the circuit it lights up when I put the multimeter inline..

you need to connect yr meter in series with yr resistor and if u are leaving the other end of yr resistor floating not connected to anything u will not get a reading....if u ground the floating end of the resistor what reading do u get on yr meter???start always at highest range and reduce the range setting....dont measure volts with the meter set to read current-what is the type of meter you have???analogue or digital???

It's in series with the resistor. The resistor is grounded. And I have a digital meter. It's really weird why it doesn't work, maybe I just have a crappy meter or something.

You mentioned connecting the meter set for measuring 10A current "across the power supply". That is how to blow its fuse. It must never be connected across a power supply because then nothing limits the current.

I think the lower current measuring parts are blown up maybe because it was connected across a power supply.

you need to connect yr meter in series with yr resistor and if u are leaving the other end of yr resistor floating not connected to anything u will not get a reading....if u ground the floating end of the resistor what reading do u get on yr meter???start always at highest range and reduce the range setting....dont measure volts with the meter set to read current-what is the type of meter you have???analogue or digital???
Could someone translate this into English please.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back