Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MR-16 Halagen yard lights to LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

easytim

I'm wanting to convert my Malibu yard lights to high powered LEDs my transformer is 12vac

Has anyone here experimented with these or know where to go and get the parts, LEDs,Drivers and Reflectors?

I have a Cree P4 LED Emitter from Deal Extreme for $5.05 Cree P4 XR-E 7090 to play around with. **broken link removed**

This is the light I'm using, it will hold a MR-16 bulb **broken link removed**

There is a great little circuit here that takes 12vac and will drive a 3watt LED and I have ordered one of these, I haven't gotten it yet **broken link removed** I think its for one 3 watts, or three 1 watt LEDs in series. My biggest question is can I put 3 one watt LEDs in series and use this driver to drive them.

The LED MR-16 bulb in the picture below has 3 - 1 watt LEDs in it and it does replace a 20 watt Halagen with no problem. It has 240 lumens and is very bright
For reference purposes, a standard 40-watt incandescent A-bulb (the familiar pear shape) puts out about 455 lumens

Thank You,
Tim

Attachments

• Cree P4 LED.jpg
    Cree P4 LED.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 364
  • Malibu.jpg
    Malibu.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 253
  • MR16 1-3W 320-350mA.jpg
    MR16 1-3W 320-350mA.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Cree 3w x 1 $29.00.jpg
    Cree 3w x 1 $29.00.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
3W probably won't be enough to replace a 20 halogen, I would say you need about 6W.

It does replace a 20 watt halagen

3W probably won't be enough to replace a 20 halogen, I would say you need about 6W.

I bought this LED MR-16 light below and tested it, it has 3 one watt LEDS in it and it does replace a 20 watt halagen its even better than a 20 watt, maybe more like 25 watt. I was very surprise with the results. I'm using 1000 watt transformer to use my Halagen bulbs and 950 watts of that is being used up. A 3 watt LED will replace a 20 watt halagen with no problem. The cost of using my yard lights every night is $15 to $20 per month. It makes sense to me to convert to high powered LEDS. Only 3 watts of power used to replace a 20 watt halagen bulb makes alot of sense and would be worth the trouble.

The LED MR-16 bulb in the picture below has 3 - 1 watt LEDs in it and it does replace a 20 watt Halagen with no problem. It has 240 lumens and is very bright
For reference purposes, a standard 40-watt incandescent A-bulb (the familiar pear shape) puts out about 455 lumens.

THANKS for your input HERO 999

High powered LEDS are very new to the market, its a learning thing for all of us.

Attachments

• Cree 3w x 1 $29.00.jpg
    Cree 3w x 1 $29.00.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Is your transformer a lightweight high frequency electronic transformer or a big and heavy iron transformer?

If your LED driver is designed for 50/60Hz it might cause a problem because the diodes might not be able to switch at the >20kHz generated by the transformer.

I'm using a big heavy duty outdoor 1000 watt iron type secondary 12vac transformer, its not an electronic type

Last edited:
That'll be perfect.

MR-16 240 lumens 3 x 1 watt LED light

I received a MR-16 240 lumens 3 x 1 watt LED light today. Its every bit as bright as a 20 watt halagen. In fact it look as bright as a 40 watt. Not bad for only 3 watts of power being used at 12vac input voltage.

easytim- looking at LEDBULB.BIZZ I noticed the prices were prohibitively expensive. That bulb lists for well above $250!!!!!!!!!!! I have 8 that I would need = GDP of some third world nations!!

easytim- looking at LEDBULB.BIZZ I noticed the prices were prohibitively expensive. That bulb lists for well above $250!!!!!!!!!!! I have 8 that I would need = GDP of some third world nations!!

Hey Hi Tech,

It cost $$$$$ to go Hi Tech:)

Take a look at this !!!!!!!! ON e-bay

High Power White LED Spot Light Bulb Lamp 12V 3W MR16 $12.00 I have two of these 1 warm 1 cool

**broken link removed**

This one cost double $28.00, but the light is more than double than the 3w single LED above, its very bright !!!!!!!!!!!! MR16 LED CREE WHITE 3x1W(3W) AC DC 12V XR-E 240 Lumen
**broken link removed**

I'm going to use these LEDs bulbs with a 20 watt solar panel, controller and 12vdc chargeable battery for lights in my family room soon as I find a good combination and some cool looking fixtures to put them in that will accept a MR-16 bulb

This is one way to do it

MR-16 to a standard Edison Medium Base (E-26) socket adapter by
Light It Technologies.
These are made in Montana and have clips which aid in securely
holding a two-pin MR-16 floodlight in place.
PRICE: ( LIT MR-16 ) $ 10.50 each
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Those prices are more like it -- I'm going to look closer into this alternative choice - would be nice to lower my landscaping lighting bill as well.

SGL019 Outdoor Solar Yard LED Light only $26.99

With solar yard light, no more digging, no more sweating! Choose where you want to install them, stick the fixtures into the ground or hang them. Voila!

Solar lighting is a great way to illuminate your landscape. By choosing the adequate fixtures you can obtain a unique, original and beautiful design without the need of an electrician.

It is an affordable, easy and safe way to bring life to your garden at night. Solar yard light can dramatically improve the look of your landscape. From revealing a dark area, to accent lighting a particular element in your garden, endless designs can be achieved.

**broken link removed**

Solar garden lights are so dim that they do not light up anything around them. The dim glow can simply be seen in the dark.
The cheap Chinese Ni-Cad cells power them for only a few hours at night and rust away within one year. Replacement locally made Ni-MH cells power them all night long and last for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back