Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB X can't view EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I have a project where I'm storing OW device IDs in EEPROM of a 16F1823. Currently I only have two connected but will eventually have 16. For debugging purposes I need to be able to see the EEPROM but can't figure out how in MPLAB X. In the attached screen capture you can see the EEPROM is all FFs yet in the code I read the first location and it's 0x10. I've tried the button in the corner of the EEPROM window that says "read device memory"but it doesn't change. Google doesn't help as all the questions are about the earlier version. Anyone got any ideas? MPLAB X Ver 3.35

Mike.
P.S. I'm not even going to moan about the time I wasted trying to figure out why my code wasn't writing to EEPROM and it was MPLAB X pretending to show me the content of said EEPROM.
MPLABX EEPROM.png

Hi Mike

You've probably been there but!! MPLAB X has a horrible habit of accessing the wrong project.... If you have two projects in the project window, chances are the eeprom is from the "other" project.... I don't use MPLAB to sim as I use ISIS.....

Just a thought..... We had a header issue.. No matter what we did in the header the file didn't change.... The header being read by the IDE was from the first project not the one we were working on..

This problem raised it's ugly head again today. Same program but with the newer 16F18323 so I had more space. For some reason only the first 8 bytes of EEPROM seemed to work. I check and double checked the datasheet and couldn't find out where I had gone wrong. Not being able to view the contents, I had no idea if it was reading or writing where the error was occurring. As it happens it was both. In table 10-2 it states that, using the non FSR method (so I could read and write), the address of the EEPROM is 0x7000. After many hours of debugging and even writing a separate program to just check this I was still at a loss. Finally, I noticed that in MPLAB.X the EEPROM is at 0xf000. AAARRRRGGGHHHH.

Mike.
table 10 2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back