Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB simulating PWM on 16F628A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Tourist

I have been poking around 16F84's for a while and have previously done pwm in software successfully, I am now experimenting with the 16F628A CCP module using MPLAB's MPLAB SIM simulator.
I have trawled the internet and have a fair idea of what it takes to get the CCP module running however after sometime (2 days) i cannot get MPLAB to show me the output from CCP1 on the logic analyzer.

Attached is the code i have been using.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Step01.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 540
For some reason the simulator doesn't like the bottom 2 bits of CCP1CON being set.

You have a couple of mistakes, TMR2ON = bit 2 not 3, so you has a postscaler on timer2.
Your on time was longer than your period so it never toggled.

See below,

Mike.
Code:
init
		clrf	CCP1CON			; Clear CCP Control register to reset CCP module

movlw	b'001011[COLOR="Red"]00[/COLOR]'		; control word to switch CCP module to PWM mode (and period LSB's)
				; b:7-6 = not used
				; b:5-4 = LSB duty cycle
				; b:3-0 = CCP module configuration  11xx = PWM mode
		movwf	CCP1CON

bsf		status,rp0	; access bank 1
		movlw	.25			; Set duty cycle
		movwf	PR2
		bcf		status,rp0	; return to bank 0

movlw	[COLOR="red"].12[/COLOR]			; set period of PWM
		movwf	CCPR1L
		bcf 	CCP1CON,5  ; set bit 1
   		bcf 	CCP1CON,4  ; set bit 0

movlw 	b'0000[COLOR="red"]0[/COLOR]110'   ; 		Turn on TMR2 and set post scaler to 1 and prescaler to 4
				; b:7 = not used
				; b:6-4 = post scale 0000 = 1:1
				; b:3 = 1 TMR2 ON
				; b:2-1= 10 prescale = 1:4
   		movwf 	T2CON

retlw	0

Thanks

Thanks for that Mike, everything is working properly now.

I currently have some small remaining issues with my circuit in that the frequency out of CCP1 is not exactly the predicted value but i think that's probably due to using the internal oscillator being temperature sensitive, either way i'm pretty sure i can work through that.

Thanks again.

David

Set the prescaler to 1:1 and it will be much faster. About 4 times.:D

Mike.

BTW, your frequency will be 1,000,000/26/4 = 9615Hz. Is this what you are seeing. If you expect it to be 10KHz then change PR2 to 24.

It also makes no sense to have a prescaler of 4 on timer2. Change to a 1:1 prescaler, change the PR2 value from 25 to 100 and your PWM value will go from 0 to 400 instead of 0 to 100 (25 in CPR1L + 2 bits in CCP1CON).

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back