Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mplab & c18 on linux mint

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I messed up the mint instillation trying to get mplab on installed, the command line went so no way to recover mint. I hope mint normally behaves better than this! I want to go mplab c18 first to finish a project, i might then try mplabx and c18 with maybe c16 later.

So how do you get it installed on mint? I normally use ubuntu but mint dosnt seem to like synapatic package manager and its own seems limited....

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome :D. Insult to injury i was going to put my sil labs dev stuff on this old laptop, but no linux support!! first bad word against sil labs i have had! I would use Keil but they got a new policy that requires the machine name and number, however it dosnt want to register my old 8051 compiler so will leave all that on the other machine.

looks like simplicity studio will work (if i am lucky) but not keil C51 or the SIM range of chips, but it should do the newer gecko chips and the 8051 range but i have to use the GCC compiler.....

Not even started trying to get mplab working on mint

MINT is awful!! I have it on a 32 bit laptop and cant get very much to run on it. I was using cinnamon version, i will wipe mint off and use ubuntu again or i might try something else. I might also run a VM of one the newer science distros on this machine. Shame most linux ditros are only going the 64 bit route, many people tend to lean on linux for older equipment.

Try Debian32 with the expert install option. All you get is a command at first but you can install the needed deb packages later.
https://www.debian.org/distrib/
Looking for C18 for Linux?
**broken link removed**

The Linux C18 version (free version as officially released from Microchip) is the full compiler version that never expires.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd suggest that the only Linux version to use for any form of serious work is Centos.

It's effectively the free build of Redhat, which is the most stable and reliable distro there is.
(just with different logos).

Fedora is the same general system but with consumer-type addons already included and newer, less-proven versions of packages.
The mplab instructions for fedora should also work with Centos / Redhat.

Try Debian32 with the expert install option. All you get is a command at first but you can install the needed deb packages later.
https://www.debian.org/distrib/
Looking for C18 for Linux?
**broken link removed**

The Linux C18 version (free version as officially released from Microchip) is the full compiler version that never expires.
nice one thanks. I did start to wonder if C18 existed for linux....

Personally, I'd suggest that the only Linux version to use for any form of serious work is Centos.

It's effectively the free build of Redhat, which is the most stable and reliable distro there is.
(just with different logos).

Fedora is the same general system but with consumer-type addons already included and newer, less-proven versions of packages.
The mplab instructions for fedora should also work with Centos / Redhat.
I will try all of this in vm's first.

Thats appalling, so in other words i am now stuck with using one chip! I tried altering the dalays etc, but seriously for a tool this old it shouldnt be like that.

I might try a ICD3 if not its time to port all my code to ARM and get shot of the pics.

Thanks for the link, at least i know its not my fault.

I read it as it takes several goes to change the device. several ' cannot connect - connection failed ' but eventually it gets it.

Last edited:
The ICD3 works just fine with Debian. Will test the ICD4 and PK3 with the latest debian 4.16 kernel today but I've not seen anything abnormal far past 4.13.

Think about this Mplab X it about all made from linux based app's even xc8 using gcc LOL
I been using it on linux for about a year now way better then windows and you can even add c18 to it from what i read but I kind like them 16fXXXX chips and MCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back