Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MP3 Doorbell Help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jollyware

Hi all,

Im new to your forum and it looks like their is a lot of experience on here, so here goes and I hope you can help me.

Im looking for some one to help me design a circuit for a doorbell to play a 20-30 second MP3 file of my choosing which would be stored on a cheap memory card, say like an MMC or a flash rom which could be connected to a PC USB.

This would also need to have some kind of amplification and audio player.

It has been about 20 years since I last dabbled in electronics and all the help in the world would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.....

There are single chip solutions to this such as the ISD2532P etc. Instead of USB, you can connect the IC to your sound cards output and record the MP3 file as you play it on the computer. You'll lose a little fidelity, but it'll be plenty good enough for a doorbell chime.
Here is a typical application circuit:

Attachments

• ISD2532.gif
    ISD2532.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:
I know your requested feature can be done by a single chip solution and the unit cost for that chip is around USD 3.0. No amplifier is require and the MP3 songs can play directly from SD card...........

kchriste said:
There are single chip solutions to this such as the ISD2532P etc. Instead of USB, you can connect the IC to your sound cards output and record the MP3 file as you play it on the computer. You'll lose a little fidelity, but it'll be plenty good enough for a doorbell chime.
Here is a typical application circuit:

Many thanks for your reply, I will be building this circuit this weekend

Frankie711 said:
I know your requested feature can be done by a single chip solution and the unit cost for that chip is around USD 3.0. No amplifier is require and the MP3 songs can play directly from SD card...........

Could you point me to where this is and what I would need to do it. Thanks...

what is the best way to design this MP3 doorbell? I want to design something that will play off of an sd card, so the circuit would need to entail an SD card reader and then output the sound to the external speaker. Help would be much appreciated.

Hi Everyone .. Even I am interested in building an mp3 doorbell which directly connects to a computer via USB to download the songs. Looking for a cheap solution with readymade ICs. Can anyone help me ?

Read the thread, this question was answered in the second post.

Mp3 Doorbell

Hi guys,
I have been looking at the posts and I am aware that there is a singal chip solution to the design of the mp3 doorbell. However, I am not very clear of, how to record the mp3 songs onto the chip (ISD2532) without using a mic.

This tread gets bumped every couple of months, not that I'm complaining, I'd rather it be bumped than duplicated.

I'd be surprised if this sort of thing can't be purchased already built.

Hi guys,
I have been looking at the posts and I am aware that there is a singal chip solution to the design of the mp3 doorbell. However, I am not very clear of, how to record the mp3 songs onto the chip (ISD2532) without using a mic.

I would try the sound cards LINE output jack to feed the ISD2532 like this:

Attachments

• ISD2532.gif
    ISD2532.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 829
MP3 Doorbell

Trying to test this circuit using an ISD 2560 chip. This is the only one I could find here in Brazil. Datasheet is very similar to ISD 2532.

In following the circuit I used a mic off an old laptop computer and a 16 ohm motherboard speaker connected directly to pins 14,15.

I have only breadboard it so far... But cannot get any output on the speaker. Anybody have any ideas on how to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Marc

Is this the circuit you used for the ISD2560? Because it is different than the ISD2532:

Attachments

• ISD2560.PNG
    ISD2560.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 856
Hello kchriste,

Yes that is the circuit I used. And the only difference between that circuit and the 2532 circuit, that I noticed, was that with the 2560 you need to tie pin 8 to ground.

I did manage to finally get it to record using the microphone. I had missed one connection on my breadboard. Sound from speaker is very faint so I guess I must incorporate an amplifier. Also will try the line input version next to record an mp3 sound from the computer.

Marc

Isd2560

hi guys
i need advice on this ISD2532/40/60, is there an alternative ic that could be used. unfortunately i cant seem to find one in south africa...

my project is a listening device alll the components were available for capturing the sound amplifying, filtering and hearing it on the headphones, but i need to record it and be able to play it back.:confused:

Alternative to ISD2532

Hi RB
I'm looking at 10seconds maximum record and playback, what would you recommend (ic, or even a known circuit you know).... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
10 seconds is ok, it's not long enough to warrant a SD or MMC card and MP3 codec and a good size you can do with a micro and a eeprom.

If you work with microcontrollers and don't mind building and programming a complex device there is some stuff here that you can use to record/encode/playback sound;
(algorithms to encode 8bit sound to 1bit) Roman Black's BTc 1bit Sound Encoding Algorithms

(Windows software to help, playback hardware) BTc Sound Encoder v3.0 - free sound software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back