Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moveable pins in Eagle Cad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeh100

Is there a way to make the symbol pins "movable"/ "smashable" in the schematic editor, the way you can with the name and value?

Last edited:
No, but you can connect the pin to the net you want and then draw that net somewhere else.

Connect the net to the pin you want and end it a little ways out. Name it (name tool) and label it (label tool). Then start your net somewhere else. Name it the same and label it as well. Labeling just puts the text above the net line so it's not confusing.

In the attached example I have named and labeled a net called TX which goes from one IC to another, but the green line doesn't physically connect them.

I usually avoid this myself out of personally preference. I like to just trace the lines wherever they go.

Attachments

• net-label.png
    net-label.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 712
You could make the part with a separate symbol for each pin. Look at a quad AND gate for an example. Each gate is a symbol and the supply pins are a symbol.

You could make the part with a separate symbol for each pin. Look at a quad AND gate for an example. Each gate is a symbol and the supply pins are a symbol.

:) I'm just curious what a schematic would like with a chip containing 100 pins, each carrying the device name and value.

Using the same net name without physically connecting pins is a proper method. Instead of (or addionally to labels) flags can be used to mark nets.

That way the person reading the schematic knows exactly that there must be parts of nets somewhere in the design.

In case there any doubts about proper net connections my example also contains a PCB layout with all nets properly connected.

Boncuk

Attachments

• FLAGS-SCH.gif
    FLAGS-SCH.gif
    10 KB · Views: 473
  • FLAGS-BRD.gif
    FLAGS-BRD.gif
    15 KB · Views: 419
Where are these flags

I think the "flags" you mentioned look a little cleaner and want to use them but i cant find anytyhing in Eagle which mentions flags and google searches are coming up empty too.

How do I use a flag?

you can create a separate library for flags.

First draw the the flag with an arrow head as a symbol. Enter ">VALUE" and then create a device.

Flags have no pins and no package. You can change the text inside the symbol by clicking it and give it a value, e.g. "VCC".

Boncuk

Attachments

• FLAG-SYMBOL.gif
    FLAG-SYMBOL.gif
    5 KB · Views: 391
  • FLAG-DEVICE.gif
    FLAG-DEVICE.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 381
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back