Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorcycle Turn Signal LED - Unique situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to zoom into your picture to get a better look and got this error message.

View attachment 114180

If you would upload your picture to ETO we could solve that problem

Thanks

I'm sorry. I don't know what "ETO" means.

I have a marginally better photo, and one that is much more "zoomed in". This one ought to be able to be viewed.

I hope that helps. I'm really at a loss as to how to complete this project without a way to connect things together. The other end of the wiring is just bullet plugs, and I already have some that will work.

Any help identifying these plugs, and locating a source to buy them would be fantastic!!

Tried to zoom into your picture to get a better look and got this error message.

View attachment 114180

If you would upload your picture to ETO we could solve that problem

Thanks

Well, stupid me. I completely overthought the entire thing. My apologies!

Here they are:
5814-LL.png
4252-LL.png
5814-LL.png
4252-LL.png

Right you are. Molex is a brand name

Wow... that was fast.

I'm perfectly willing to take the thing apart again tomorrow, and make some measurements to ensure that I get exactly the right thing.

Can anyone advise me exactly what I need to measure, aside from the distance between the prongs? I would imagine that I need to measure the exact size of the cavity, depth, width, and length too. Is there some website that shows standard sizes for these things?

Thanks for the help guys! I think we're on the right track to figure out what I need to get.

Yes, I do have a caliper. Two of them as a matter of fact. One in MM and the other in Inches. Thanks for the document. It will come in very handy!

This place rocks!

If it is a jst socket (looks like one) you may be lucky and it's the same one used on radio control batteries. A visit to the local model shop may be worthwhile.

Mike.

I hope I can get some answers directly to this question, without all the "Oh, you can't change the lighting, it's illegal/unsafe/improper" type responses that aren't pertinent to the issue.

Shhh !!! You'll wake up all the trolls/grumpy old men. :)

If it is a jst socket (looks like one) you may be lucky and it's the same one used on radio control batteries. A visit to the local model shop may be worthwhile.

Great idea Mike

Pretty close. If there were a plug that fit this, it might be the one, but this is more like the male socket in the PCB on the bike. It's the female plug that fits into it that I'm after here.

I'm going to look through that page there and see what they've got like this. Thanks!

They obviously have the matching plugs as well, I sent the link to the socket so you could compare it to yours.

I buy my plugs ready wired from Aliexpress, a lot easier than crimping them :D

They obviously have the matching plugs as well, I sent the link to the socket so you could compare it to yours.

I buy my plugs ready wired from Aliexpress, a lot easier than crimping them :D

Mr. Goodwin: My apologies for missing the obvious. I am so far outside my knowledge base, that anything not exactly and precisely what it is, will be lost on me. I suppose I need to think things through a little. I am an architectural historian by trade. I could likely tell you details about old buildings that would glaze your eyes over, and that you'd understand probably better than I do all these electronic doohickeys. I'll try to do better, and I'll try harder to keep up.

If I knew exactly what to get, I would, but I am afraid I am going to have to have someone more knowledgeable than I, take the information I can give, and then tell me exactly what it is that I am describing, in order for me to be able to understand it.

For example, If I say "I have a socket with dimensions: X wide, Y deep, Z tall, with two prongs each N long, and K distance apart." Someone will have to tell me "That's the Illudium AQ36 modulator plug. You can get it at Marvin's Discount Electronics Store. Ask for part number WEM9789."

That's how bad it is.

Then again, if you wanted to talk about the proportions of the cyma acanthi on a Corinthian column, and how that interacts with the volutes and pilosum above the echinus, I could discuss that easily. It's a matter of knowledge base and terminology. I know little to nothing of your world, but I'm trying hard to follow it. Please be patient with me. There was a time when everyone here knew as much as I do.

Shhh !!! You'll wake up all the trolls/grumpy old men. :)

Great idea Mike

Why, yes, it is a fantastic idea! I don't think there's an RC shop around where I live, but I do know there's one about an hour away. It may be time for a road trip. Or better yet, I can call them, tell them the dimensions of my socket, and ask if they have any plugs that will fit it. Stupor Mundi!

That brings up only one more problem. And it's a two-parter.

First, how will I know what the polarity of the connection is? Are they all wired to some International standard? In other words, if I get a plug with red and black wires dangling from it, will they be set up the correct way? I hope there's a standard for these things.

Second, I've started to wonder if this is even the power port for the PCB of the turn signal. Is there something I can do with a multimeter (and yes, I have one, although I have no idea how to use it, but that's what YouTube is for!) to determine if that is indeed the power plug?

My brain is starting to hurt...

Inquisitive:

May I send you a private message?

Sure, Ed Tessmacher

Click on my name on the left side of this message. You will see a pop-up dialog box with several choices Those being "Profile Page", "Start a Conversation", "Follow" and "Ignore"
Select "Start a Conversation" This will start a new thread between you and I

A bit of an update. I sent an email to one of the parts suppliers that was recommended here, and they suggested that I look for a radio-control parts house, as they have two-pin connectors that might fit my needs. So, I am going to start on that in the morning.

I'm going to get there, I promise!!

If you can work out the jst type then you may find them on ebay. Like this. These ones are 1.25mm between pins and type XH.

There isn't a standard polarity. I bought one of these and it's the opposite polarity to R/C batteries but the same connector.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back