Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorbike Alarm. Remote start

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb83

Background to this is a bought an alarm for my Bike and have decided to use a feature on it as a remote start [ yes boys and toys ].
So i have it all working but have an issue with it, The current travels to the kill switch/starter switch as shown below, activating the start switch, NOT GOOD.
SO i need a diode, now not being very technical i thought i would pick up a 5mm 12v LED and wire this in. This way it will prevent the current from travelling the wrong directiong, but allow the correct current through when it is needed.
Now the issue is with this LED. I have fitted it in line with the power supply of the ignition coils. With the main switch used it lights the LED, but seems to lack power for the coils. If i remove the LED it fires just fine.

It seems like the LED is sapping enough power to stop it fireing , although my understanding was they take very little.
If im correct a standard diode would give me the block i need and alo would not draw anything from the charge going through it ?

If that is correct any suggestions on what type of diode i need ?
Its a 12v system, thats all it needs to carry, i just dont have much of an idea.
Would be purchasing from Maplin as its local.

So any help is appreciated.:)

EDIT : Please excuse the rather crewd circuit, but thougth ti may help explain what i've done.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Just to add to the above, Just checked the voltage before and after the LED
Before the LEd its reading 12.4v after its reading 1.7v . . . So its a hell of a drop and quite obviously the reason it wouldn't start.
So i need to get a diode to prevent the flow but not draw any current . . no idea which though my mind boggles lol

EDIT : Am picking up a rectifiying diode tomorrow, has a 1amp rating on it, although im unsure what ampage the circuit is. would this be the correct typwto use??

Last edited:
The starter will draw much more than 1 amp. I don't understand the problem. The start switch is manually activated, so current flowing to it should not activate it. I don't see a problem with your setup.

The starter will draw much more than 1 amp. I don't understand the problem. The start switch is manually activated, so current flowing to it should not activate it. I don't see a problem with your setup.

The problem is the starter switch should not be active without the kill switch being engaged. As it currently is with the alternative power the start switch is activated, even though the kill switch isnt.
So the flow needs to be prevented from reaching the starter switch from the alternative source.
Hence the need for a diode, just dont know which.
I dont want to add another relay in tot he circuit as it seems unecesary

The drop across the LED stopped it from working so i have no idea if it would work this way or not, is there any way to increase the voltage again after the LED ?

Last edited:
Nope. It won't work. Just connect your alternative power supply to your kill switch.

Ive just realised something, the starter power doesnt go through where the diode is.
The power for the starter comes from the 12v feed which splits to power the coils and the stater so creating 2 circuits from the one supply.
So the diode wont be exposed to the cranking amps of the starter, should simply be the 12v supply to the ignition coils. Unforytunately ive been unable to find out the ampage of these but obviously would be nowhere near the starter.

Can also get the rectifier diodes in 3amp and 6amp high capacity models.

Last edited:
Nope. It won't work. Just connect your alternative power supply to your kill switch.

If i did it that way i wouldnt remote start without the kill switch being engaged, or if its the oposite side i would be left in the same situation that i currently am with the side effect of the starter switch being constantly live.

First you said the starter switch should not be active without the kill switch engaged, then you said connecting to the kill switch won't work because the kill switch won't be engaged. I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back