Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor Design Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberdeen57

I am looking produce a small platform capable of rotating to discrete positions. The rotating plate is approximately 14" in diameter and needs to be able to rotate to multiple positions in 15 degree increments. I think a stepper motor would be the best approach although I am up to try whatever is most reasonable (possibly a servo motor). I have both analog and digital input/output available. The motor to turn the plate needs to be reasonably high torque to prevent mis-steps.

any suggestions on an initial approach?

How fast? Maybe 5 RPM at most. Honestly, the speed is almost irrelevant.

Torque? Well that is a little tougher. It looks like the plate has an inertia of 3.5oz-in-sec^2.

Sounds like a stepper motor would work if the stepper position accuracy is good enough for you. A servo involves feedback which is significantly more complicated to implement. You need to look at the manufacturer's motor ratings for inertia loading to determine how big a motor is required to prevent mis-steps.

Or a solenoid, and rachet with pawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back