Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motion Detector light problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I am having a crazy problem that makes no sense to me yet. When I test a motion detector light inside the work shop they work good but when I put it outside I get different results. In the work shop I am using 100 watt incandescent light bulbs but outside I only have the LED light connected to the motion detector. Sensitivity is set at maximum range.

When I test motion detector inside the work shop light works good at 40 ft. When I open the big 10 foot roll up doors motion detectors work good when I walk across the driveway 80 ft away at night using 1 incandescent bulbs. When motion detector it mounts on the wall about 8 ft up motion detector will NOT come on until I walk up to it 20 ft from the detector?

LED light is 7800 lumens rated 80 watts. 1 incandescent light bulb is rated 100 watts. Amps are very nearly the same. What the heck is the problem?

LED light has a built in LDR sun light detector that should not be a problem after dark. If light coming ON was a problem for LDR then light would come ON then go OFF.

Maybe I need to test motion detector with a 60 watt incandescent bulb to see if lower amp load is a problem?

Maybe the empty motion detector light socket needs a 100 watt incandescent light bulb to make motion detector work correctly?????

Light will not come on when I drive me SUV up the driveway after dark. I have swapped out the motion detector 2 times with other good working motion detector I still get same results. Timer switch is set on 5 minutes.

I have another motion detector I can swap out to see what happens.

I almost forgot to mention, if LED light comes ON then goes OFF it will not come ON again until light has been OFF for 30 seconds.

100_0600.JPG
100_0599.JPG
100_0601.JPG
100_0597.JPG
100_0598.JPG

Maybe the empty motion detector light socket needs a 100 watt incandescent light bulb to make motion detector work correctly?
Some motion detectors switch the light on/off with an electromagnetic relay; others have a solid-state switching device (triac). The latter may not play happily with LED lights whereas the former should work with incandescent or LED lights.

If it's a two-wire unit, it's drawing power through the lamp while the lamp is off.

A filament lamp at low current will drop very little voltage; a LED lamp may drop quite a high voltage before any significant current passes through it, depending on the design.

In other words the detector electronics don't have enough power.

Three-wire types have a permanent supply plus a switched output, so don't have that type of problem.

You may be able to work around it by providing a bypass to the lamp, something like a 0.1uF cap and 100 Ohm resistor in series - the same as a "snubber" circuit. That will pass a small current without causing an overload.

A 100 watt incandescent light bulb in the empty light socket solved the problem. It is interesting when I walk in front of the motion detector the incandescent bulb comes on first then 2 seconds later the LED light comes on. Tonight when it is dark I will test it with a 60w & 40w & 25w light bulb to see if it works correctly. I don't want to waste anymore electricity than I need too for this to work.

The motion detector is now timing the correct time. With switch set on 1 minutes it was timing about 20 seconds then light turned off early. With switch set for 5 minutes it was timing about 2 minutes then light went off. The incandescent bulb is now making the motion detector time for a full 5 minutes before turning off with switch set to time for 5 minutes.

Tomorrow I will neaten up this messy circuit & cut off all the extra wire. The 100w bulb is directly over the LDR I had to duct tape a penny over the LDR to keep the LED light on. If the incandescent bulb comes on in the rain glass will crack so it needs a different bulb or rain protection. I will figure that out tomorrow.

100_0602.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back