Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOS gate retention characteristics question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv1597

I have a question on how a MOSFET reacts to multiple subsequent input at the gate. I'm working on a simple supply circuit consisting of two MOSFETs, a first MOSFET for current-limiting supply to a second MOSFET but I'm without equipment to try it out on-hand at this time. I would like to know if a subsequent input value of .5v at the gate on a MOSFET would be cumulatively retained after a prior input of .5v, summing both input values to 1v altogether; and if so, I would also like to know how accurately a value is retained and for how long. Thanks.

A MOSFET gate looks like a capacitor that must be charged and discharged. The memory, if you can call it that, disappears quite rapidly in relative terms. It is similar to a series RC circuit where the voltage rises and falls exponentially with a time constant τ. As a rule of thumb, it takes about 5 time constants to reach 99% of the final value. I would not expect any "summing" action on MOSFET gates.

That said, a schematic diagram of what you have in mind is worth more than several paragraphs of verbiage and maybe I don't understand what you are describing.

Here is a depiction that might help...

Drawing 1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back