Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

More computer fan sillyness

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly, the transistor would pass the "10 second test" with only one of those small heatsinks that look like an aluminum IC.
Of course you could just use a small 1 x 2 inch scrap of alluminum.

( the 10 second test is - can you touch it for 10 seconds without cursing )

for your fan, I dont think will need much of a heatsink, something like this will do:

https://www.futurlec.com/Heatsinks/TO220S.shtml

since at lower speeds, the transistor is not on all the time, so on average the heat production is lower.

If you go the LM317 route, you will need a heatsink, like above picture, being on all the time, heat production is steady.

You can make your own voltage regulator with an op-amp driving a MOSFET. Either N-channel or P-channel will work, you would just change the output direction. This solution has no minimum regulator voltage dropout.

If the input is known to be a regulated 12V, you don't need a zener diode to create a known voltage, a resistive divider will do. Compare against the output voltage, and include a cap to slow down the feedback response a lot to prevent oscillation.
sounds great, but I don't really get it... :? Don't suppose someone could draw a quick circuit diag for me...? *smiles angelicly*

bmcculla and ante, both very useful, but I was hoping not to use any unusal parts, due the the high shipping costs of places like RS.

Cheers Zevon8, that was what I wanted to know.

Tim,

An Op-Amp and a MOSFET is OK, if you want to create heat and loss of energy! You need PWM regulation to overcome this.

Ante :roll:

An Op-Amp and a MOSFET is OK, if you want to create heat and loss of energy
lol, no that wasn't what I was going for...

I have decided to go with PWM for one fan, and low dropout regulator with a switch to go to full voltage for the other fan (a la the diag earlier in this thread)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate having a choice

Cheers,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back