Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moisture sensitive parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

I just recieved a big order from mouser, and Theres only one concern I have; Some of the parts are in moisture sealed bags (like LEDs, Caps and Some IC's). Now I bought some of these parts for future projects (it was a very large order) and Im a hobbiyst, do I have to bake them once I open them? Or Can I reseal the package with tape once I used the part I need? Basically Im asking if once I open them if they'll be "OK" in a few months or a year for hobbyist use or will they fail just sitting around?

They should be fine. If you are worried about it then store in a zip lock bag with some desiccant packets. Also, obviously store in a cool dry place.

Ron

We have a small production of specialty electronics. After we build the boards, using watersoluable solder, we put the builds through a regular cycle in our dishwasher. Parts include CMOS ICs, 68HC11 micros, relays and small powertransformers. Dripdry over night. After that 1 -1.5 hr at 135deg. F in a convection oven. Not one failure after 10k+ pieces in 10 years+!
I know, some will shudder, but it works for us. E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back