Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modifying an Interlocking piano switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby1313

Hello, My name is Bobby Saraceno and I'm new to this forum.

I have a question about about Interlocking Piano switches like these:

PushSwitch.jpg

I as there a way to remove to rows on this switch - and still maintain it's functionality after (unsoldering it from the board of course)? The only reason I want to modify
this one is because I can't find a vintage 3 row switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I see no reason why you should not remove two of the switches. Be careful not to damage the interlock bar. There will be a spring that pushes the interlock bar in one direction. If you intend to shorten the whole assembly it is worth looking at how this spring is positioned to see if removing one end is easier than the other.

Les.

Thanks for the advice, I keep an I out for the spring on the interlock bar. The reason I want to remove 2 of the switches, is because the switch pictured came from an amplifier that had 5 different switches, I want to try and use it for an amplifier that has 3 switches and I haven't been able find a 3 row switch of this type.

I've never done exactly what you say, but I have replaced these a few times.
Theres a sliding bar as mentioned in the steel channel that holds the switches together, this moves when one switch is pushed, releasing all the others exceot the one being pushed.
So if you removed 2 of them the rest might well still work fine.
Looking at the pic, under the spring there is a slot, and next to the spring towrds the upper of the pic theres a hole, well on a single switch that latches on/off there is a piece of wire that goes into these, and that is what provides the latching action.

Oh yes, welcome here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back