Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkrja

I've written an application for an embedded pc which requires input from a keyboard. The application would automatically start after boot up.

I would like to do it as user-friendly as possible and for this I need to rebuild and modify the keyboard. Some of the keys should be connected to a rotary switch instead (for example, the arrow-keys). Then, if the rotary switch is in a certain position this will be the same as one of the keys is pressed.

This solution would work perfect for my application but not for the boot up of the pc. Most computers thinks there is something wrong if a key is pressed during boot.

Is there an 'electronic' (not software) way to go around this?

Thanks,
Kristian

Some computers have a option in the bios to ignore all errors (including lack of keyboard, or sticky keys).

This solution would work perfect for my application but not for the boot up of the pc. Most computers thinks there is something wrong if a key is pressed during boot.
If this is just for one PC you could put a timer in the keyboard that disables the rotary switch for x number of seconds after power up until the boot phase is over. May not work properly for a soft boot though. My PC always flashes the Scroll Lock light on boot, so you could use something like that to trigger the timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back