Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moderators please read and consider this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt those people wind up with the plum jobs, even with lots of help. the engineering world has many positions that do no design work at all. qa, sales engineers, and so on, thus limiting the damage they can do. the business world is darwinian. the companies that hire crappy engineers wind up building crappy products and wind up out of business. a resume with a history of failed projects gets round-filed more often than not. It's slow but there is some justice in the world.

Hi all,
I am new here. My first impression to this site is that people try to help each other and have some fun. So, I post help to seek for ideas of building cable tester and 5 phase motor drive tester. Actually, I am brain storming of building a cable/looming tester with more than 100 connections for different products and a 5 phase motor tester for our production line. I also seek for help of EEPORM problem. I hope to encounter some body who has some experience to these matters. Then, I found out peolpe started to comment on English etc.. It sounds a bit funny.

t.o. said:
Hi all,
I am new here. My first impression to this site is that people try to help each other and have some fun. So, I post help to seek for ideas of building cable tester and 5 phase motor drive tester. Actually, I am brain storming of building a cable/looming tester with more than 100 connections for different products and a 5 phase motor tester for our production line. I also seek for help of EEPORM problem. I hope to encounter some body who has some experience to these matters. Then, I found out peolpe started to comment on English etc.. It sounds a bit funny.

Yeah, its a load of laughs at times. Just be patient and keep in mind that this forum is worldwide. You can let the cultural stuff get you upset. Like, I've notice that some of the regulars from England tend to pick at your typing skills and a like to argue. Oh, and topics concerning jamming cellphones ('mobiles'), stun-guns, microwave ovens, anything that explodes... are generally button pushing subjects, the response is almost predictable. The middle easterners are a little weak in the typing and english skills, took a while to realize they were adults at first.

But through all this and, many other amusing observations, there are quite a few well educated and helpful people that regularly post in the forum. Just have to try to keep your thread focused on topic, we often get side-tracked...

Oh, almost forgot... a PIC is the only real way to do anything. Just kidding, some people like to brag on themselves that way...

And finally, if you need help with something, and don't get much response, be more specific or show more of want you've done with it so far. Nobody likes working on mystery circuits. Pictures and diagrams are a huge help.

that energy field from your stargate could prolly jam cellphones.

_nox_ said:
quite off-topic ... but

How does this work ?

Well, theoretically: if you transmit a strong radio signal, at the frequency cell phone operates, you could disturbe it's operation. But such thing is illegal and therefore not allowed to be discussed here!

HiTech said:
that energy field from your stargate could prolly jam cellphones.
That's true =)
I think being in close proximity to a tesla coil might do the job, too.

Well, theoretically: if you transmit a strong radio signal, at the frequency cell phone operates, you could disturbe it's operation. But such thing is illegal and therefore not allowed to be discussed here!

Ah fine - And because it's illegal, discussing about it is forbidden ?
Building nukes is illegal, too... myriad people talk about it in physics forums.

It wouldn't be illegal if you "accidentally" gave us some info. :cool:

Marks256 said:
It wouldn't be illegal if you "accidentally" gave us some info. :cool:

I think its only illegal if you actually jam cellphones. Discussing theory or designing circuits probably not. I wonder if its illegal to jam cellphones in the privacy of your own home. Say, you have teenage kids... and you want to have some no cell times (homework, late night, daughter talking to her new scumbag boyfriend...).

Anyway, what was this thread origionally? Oh yeah, lazy college students...
There is no real way to filter those kinds of posts. I guess the moderator would have to decide if a post is a homework request. But how do you determine if they are requesting help getting started, or a completed assignment ready to to turn in? Basically, its always up to the readers to decide which topics to get involved with. Far as I know, this forum doesn't have storage or bandwidth problems, so its not hurting anybody but the lazy students...

HarveyH42 said:
I think its only illegal if you actually jam cellphones. Discussing theory or designing circuits probably not. I wonder if its illegal to jam cellphones in the privacy of your own home. Say, you have teenage kids... and you want to have some no cell times (homework, late night, daughter talking to her new scumbag boyfriend...).

Anyway, what was this thread origionally? Oh yeah, lazy college students...
There is no real way to filter those kinds of posts. I guess the moderator would have to decide if a post is a homework request. But how do you determine if they are requesting help getting started, or a completed assignment ready to to turn in? Basically, its always up to the readers to decide which topics to get involved with. Far as I know, this forum doesn't have storage or bandwidth problems, so its not hurting anybody but the lazy students...

Well the problem is, you would have to design it so its strong enough for your house, but doesnt go any further. Another problem is if you set the blocker in the middle of the house, you can block it easily. AL foil taped to one side of the wall, then its defeated. Assuming that you can still get reception on the opposite side.

Just turn your house into a Faraday cage. They put up one foil wall...you put up the other 5!

But such thing is illegal and therefore not allowed to be discussed here!
I'm not sure about slovakia, but here in the USA we have freedom of speech. I love it. Just talking about it is fine, as long as you are not stupid enough to do it. Big fines and big jail time are usually a fairly good deterent.

Anyways, I like the faraday cage idea. Don't they sell some kind of conductive paint that could be used for something like this.

Sig239 said:
[...] Anyways, I like the faraday cage idea. Don't they sell some kind of conductive paint that could be used for something like this.

I'm curious - Could nanometallic particles floating in a carrier substance ( painted on the wall ) create such a faraday cage effect ?

Sig239 said:
I'm not sure about slovakia, but here in the USA we have freedom of speech. I love it. Just talking about it is fine, as long as you are not stupid enough to do it. Big fines and big jail time are usually a fairly good deterent.

lol.

Discusing such thing is of course not illegal, but there is always some 'dumb kid' that will build such thing if he/she sees such article (and will cause some harm). That's why we don't want people to discuss such things in here.
The proper place for such discussion would be a school (collage)...

The problem with conductive paint or foil, is that you can't turn it on or off. I was just thinking of some practical uses of such a device in the privacy of your home. I personally don't own/use cellphones believe there are damaging effects associated with having a powerful transmitter so close to your brain. The billing scheme is almost as bad as credit cards. You have to be very careful not to exceed your usage agreement, or pay much higher rates...

I only mentioned cellphone jamming in a post, with several other topics that almost always start arguements over legal or safety issues that most likely will never come up in the real world. Basically, when the moderators or administrators ban a topic, then it shouldn't be discussed and the thread deleted.

_nox_ said:
I'm curious - Could nanometallic particles floating in a carrier substance ( painted on the wall ) create such a faraday cage effect ?
Conductive is the key word in my statement. And perhaps several coats of it would be more effective. Of course there are other considerations, such as doors and windows etc. At any rate I think it would be interesting to play with (using someone elses money of course).:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back