Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

modem booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroGeek_87

Is it possible to boost dial up modem speed by using some type of external circuit to boost the current or voltage of the line. I know nothing about if this would work or how to do it . Any info or websites containing this type of info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Modem speed has nothing to do with voltage or current. A modem converts digital data into a form that can be transmitted trough a phone line. The speed is limited due to the degradation of the signal over the phone line.

I'm agree with Electronic master. you are transmitting data and not power.

Not what I would have liked to hear but hey thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll just have to stick to the old 26.4Kbs connection.

ElectroGeek_87 said:
Is it possible to boost dial up modem speed by using some type of external circuit to boost the current or voltage of the line. I know nothing about if this would work or how to do it . Any info or websites containing this type of info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As Exo said, a factor in the transmission speed is signal degradation over the transmission line (telephone line). So, one way to make sure you minimize degradation, is to make sure that your phone lines/connections to the street are good. Making good connections and using good wire is a simple way to increase modem speed. Probably not by much, though.

I have made good connections, and ran CAT-5 shielded cable to the outside line to no avail. I do live about seven miles from the isp, but I have tried many different modems and even got a 49kbs connection w/ an aopen modem and 36kbs w/ a U S robotics HARDWARE modem. It seems that a hardware modem connects at much faster speeds but I hagve no idea why. thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back