Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mobile phone battery specifications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky06

Guys.... i need some help in fetching informations about a mobile phone battery lik its impedance , current rating , to charge it how much current and power required & what should be the charger's impedance....etc..... where can i get those infos.. pls help me get those....

Take back off cell phone. Look at battery. Battery voltage and chemistry should be printed on battery. Google that type of battery...

Mobile phone batteries range from about 700 mA-hrs to 1200 mA-hrs. Smart phones have larger in 1000 - 1300 mA-hrs range.

Rs of battery starts out about 0.15 ohms and degrades as it is cycled. At 300-400 cycle the Rs may double.

Charging depends on manufacturer. Typically about 0.2 to 0.6 of mA-hrs rating current. Li-Ions need several safety failsafe measures for charging. The two most important are never charge a battery that is below 1.8 vdc and charger voltage must not exceed 4.25 vdc. A battery less then 3.0vdc needs a <0.1C trickle charge until voltage comes up to about 3.4 vdc.

Rc where'd you get that bit about a battery of less than 3.0vds needs a trickle charge till 3.4 volts? I'm curious as to the reasons.

It is specified in IEEE1725 as a requirement but left up to battery manufacturer as the voltage limits. 3.4v is probably conservative. It is okay for most LiIon's to go to full rate charging at about 3.2 vdc. The trade off is how long to get a device alive after hooking up charger. An unload LiIon will not support much load until it gets above 3.6- 3.7vdc, but charger could support load sooner.

Most of the safety items have to do with plating out Lithium and I believe the precharge is to ensure enough charge state uniformity to avoid the issue.

Thanks for the reference, I didn't realize there were even any specs for battery charging lithium-polymer cells like that. I've bookmarked the standard for later reading. Nice to see some companies are at least trying to put this stuff down on paper standards.

Mobile phone batteries range from about 700 mA-hrs to 1200 mA-hrs. Smart phones have larger in 1000 - 1300 mA-hrs range.

Rs of battery starts out about 0.15 ohms and degrades as it is cycled. At 300-400 cycle the Rs may double.

Charging depends on manufacturer. Typically about 0.2 to 0.6 of mA-hrs rating current. Li-Ions need several safety failsafe measures for charging. The two most important are never charge a cell phone battery that is below 1.8 vdc and charger voltage must not exceed 4.25 vdc. A battery less then 3.0vdc needs a <0.1C trickle charge until voltage comes up to about 3.4 vdc.
I think that it can help you

thanks for ur comments guys... it was helpful...... now i got a new prob... can i boost current from from nA to some usable value..... say for lightin an array of LEDS or just to charge a li-ion battery... any feasible ideas guys.... hope u experts help me to solve this prob...

??? Regardless of voltage, nano amps are particularly useless, what do you have in mind? As you haven't actually asked a question yet, just some vague concept of converting nano amps to 'useful value' which makes no sense out of context of what you're trying to do.

oops.... sorry i was about to ask to boost uA to some usable value when the voltage is around 5 or 6v.....

Last edited:
To increase current you'd need to decrease voltage. 5 times the current 1/5th the voltage, and that's with a 100% efficient converter, even good converters are only around 80-90% efficient and that's with more voltage headroom than you have. I think you'd be lucky to get 50% efficiency, and you'd end up with still not enough power to be useful for much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back