Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mobile Charger to get +5v, 0 , -5v ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Hi,

Since it is an old thread, I’ve decided not to post in that and start my own one.
In post #7 of this Thread , BADFLOPPY said that the Mobile Charger can be turned into +5, 0, -5 Volts supply as he said :”Just connect a reverse diode from the output of the transformer with the same capacitor and you get a twin polarity +5, 0, -5 volt”.

My question is : Which transformer he meant?

This was the post:

Better you buy a cheap Mobile Charger. Tweak the control biasing feedback and you can get + 5 volt. Just connect a reverse diode from the output of the transformer with the same capacitor and you get a twin polarity +5, 0, -5 volt PS. In india, Calcutta, a Mobile charger costs about Rs.40/- (Less than an US$).

I have no idea what he was getting at either. Makes no sense to me unless I am missing something.

What is your goal? +/- 5 VDC from what source voltage and how much current is required?

Ron

what is 0 amd - 5 V , is it reverse direction of current ?

Hi Ron,

While I was searching for simple SMPS, I found this thread, I was impresed about what BADFLOPPY said and wendered if I can get such +/- supply it will be good for some bipolar circuits.

what is 0 amd - 5 V , is it reverse direction of current ?

it means a power supply with positive and negative output, fixed at -5 and +5 with a common termainal.

so you want 3 terminal device , one as a source of +5V, second as neutral 0V, third as sink of - 5V .
but from where will - 5V source it current, you just cannot have a terminal sinking current without something connected to it.
if its going to sink from circuit connected, i say you use transistor to sink current , i dont know if this circuit is going to work but i am going to paste it.
select appropriate values of components connected.

Attachments

• 760px-Fullwave.rectifier.en.svg.png
    760px-Fullwave.rectifier.en.svg.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 194
Hi Ron,

While I was searching for simple SMPS, I found this thread, I was impresed about what BADFLOPPY said and wendered if I can get such +/- supply it will be good for some bipolar circuits.

I don't know what bad floppy was getting at. Since this thread is pretty old I would venture he is long gone from the forums.

When I have a need for something like this I generally go with an over the counter (store bought) solution similar to these DC to DC converters. Case in point if you look at page 15 of that data sheet and the MGFW152405 it offers +/- 5 volts out at 1.5 amps as well as 10 volts out. The input and output are fully isolated which can be nice. The input voltage can be between 9 and 32 volts making it ideal in 12 or 24 volt systems. While not quite inexpensive at about $40 USD I can't build one for less than that. Not considering time and materials anyway plus designing a board etc.

Ron

Hi Ron,

your link is not O.K., I tried to follow the link and found this:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/07/800-0627PDF.pdf

That’s nice, I'll try to contact them and conceder their product as replacement for some of our equipment, taking in mind that they give 2 in 1, 2v and 24v supply and offer 10 years warranty.

But as I told you, I'm trying to do simple SMPS to enter the world of troubleshooting. Nowadays instruments, most of them use SMPS, and when it went wrong, thousands of USD is thrown away.

so, any basic SMPS tutorial to start with ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back