Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

minimum load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

i have an old computer power suply, wich i intend to use for my electronic circuits, and this is the problem: it says that i must have a minimum load for the 5V of 5A, but i dont need that much...isnt 1A anough?
and for 12V a min. load of 2A but i only need 1-1.5A...is it ok?
also what happents if i turn it on with no load?
thanks, and hope i get some answers soon!!

Without any load maybe cannot started, sometimes (older types) damaged. Work fine with 1...2A load, but 5V load must be higher as 12V load.E.g. 5V 1A, 12V 0,5A. 5V 2A, 12V 1A. You can play with loads, what happen (the results depend from overvoltage shutdown circuit) when You pull out higher current from 12V. ( in this case the 5V go small higher, and the protection cct swithing off.

so if i want to use it to full power on 12V wich is 8A then i must have more than 8A on 5V?
because i dont want to use the 5V for anything, i only need the 12V
and the suply is quite old....1994

Open it, and put the voltage feedback with increased resistor to 12V output. If You can send me via e-mail a good quality picture with top and bottom wiew, i can draw the modifications. The result is 12V 15A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back