Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mini Xlr to 3.5 help

1-3-2-4

So I'm wondering something I have a mic with a 3.5 output and I have a mini xlr input when the 3.5 is pushed in all the way I get no audio, however if it's inserted halfway I get audio, what's the issue here?

At a guess, the 3.5mm socket is wired for a differential input & you are using a mic with a TRS (stereo style) plug?

If that's it, when the plug is fully in, both + and - XLR inputs get the same signal. XLR uses balanced signals so it's the difference between + and - that is seen.

If it's a mono plug, then the signal input could be on the socket ring contact, which gets shorted to ground once the plug is fully in.

At a guess, the 3.5mm socket is wired for a differential input & you are using a mic with a TRS (stereo style) plug?

If that's it, when the plug is fully in, both + and - XLR inputs get the same signal. XLR uses balanced signals so it's the difference between + and - that is seen.

If it's a mono plug, then the signal input could be on the socket ring contact, which gets shorted to ground once the plug is fully in.
The 3.5mm end is a TRS plug its not mono So does the TRS end need to be rewired?

What type of mic is it? Also, mono or stereo?
It's mono but I just found out I unhooked the lead off the ring on the TRS and the plug works fine now fully inserted.. so it seems while the mic has a TRS output it's unbalanced and the mini XLR while balanced isn't getting that. Now I assume the polarity doesn't matter?

In the mic, the ring is presumably connected to tip.

The XLR wire you disconnected from the ring should now go to sleeve, so the input sees the mic signal between (across?) the two XLR input wires.

If that does not work or reduces the volume, it's probably not a true differential input on the XLR.

In the mic, the ring is presumably connected to tip.

The XLR wire you disconnected from the ring should now go to sleeve, so the input sees the mic signal between (across?) the two XLR input wires.

If that does not work or reduces the volume, it's probably not a true differential input on the XLR.
Yeah I connected it to the sleeve and it's fine now

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back