Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microsoft Word problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I have MS Word 2003 and Windows XP on my laptop at work (I can read Electro-tech-online at work but the system won't let me login).

I have been writing a document that has many cross references.

But today I discovered that all of the cross references have been replaced by the message "Error Cross Reference not found" (there was no problem earlier in the day)

Does any one know why this happens? And, can it be fixed automatically?

I did not print a copy before this happened, so if all else fails, I'll have to work out all the cross references again and insert them again.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I don't know if it applies to Word but VB has an annoying problem that may be related. If you run VB and open your project then the default path in your project is the VB installation Directory. If you open the file by double clicking the project file then the path changes to the project directory. So, did you open the file differently to how you normally open it?

Mike.

Where did the cross references link to? It may be that they linked to another document and this document is no longer accessible (accidentally deleted, for example, or more likely has been moved to a different directory). You can try what Pommie suggests: open the document by double-clicking it from its folder. Otherwise, a problem while saving the document may also cause the cross references to be damaged. Once all my equations and pictures were replaced by a red 'x' symbol after I saved and reloaded the document, and I had no chocie but to redo them from scratch.

Last edited:
well what do you expect with microsh!t ? why not use open office it is free and a least they try to fix bugs instead of forgetting them and palming us with useless new features.

mdanh2002 said:
Where did the cross references link to? It may be that they linked to another document and this document is no longer accessible (accidentally deleted, for example, or more likely has been moved to a different directory).
Thanks, that is what it was.

I had copied and pasted text from another doc without realising it had numerous field codes.

So I replaced the text linked to the field codes with plain text and problem solved.

All of the cross references I had inserted were OK.

I hate MS Word, there again I'm not too keen on OpenOffice.org Writer either but at least it's not so darn expensive!

I hate Open Office's equation, you have to type the formula you want to display in its own syntax which is very troublesome. Unlike Word's microsoft equation, you can just click and type...

Hmm, I don't know where I stand on that one, on one hand MS Equation is better being click and play because it's easier to learn, there again I also like OpenOffice.org Formula as typing is so much faster than clicking!

Overall MS Equation is better not because of its interface but because it has more features like multi-line and more symbgols are supported. Don't be fooled though, MS Equation isn't an MS invention, they bought it from another company called Design Science.

Also note that with OpenOffice Formula you don't have to remmber all the syntax, you can click on the buttons. To be honest my ideal formula editor would be Latex with a graphical front end so you can choose whether to have a GUI like MS Equation of a pure text interface.

I hate open Office's equation too. Eeeek.

I won’t shift to newer applications suddenly. I won’t forget my past. MS word is the best choice of me for documentation. Its features too much for me. What you can do with more symbols???? I have been working with MS Word for a long time, no more problems occurred yet.Even the international companies I have worked.

What’s so bad about MS Word?

I had a strange problem at work with MS Word.

I wrote a 23 page doc and when I printed it, page 15 was blank except for the header and footer. This has been happening for several days.

But if I printed page 15 only, it came out normally.

There is a diagram on page 14.

Does anyone know why? Any advice will be appreciated.

You try inserting the image by Clicking Insert - image - from file.Not from just copy & pasting directly.
can you see the image in print preview?

Or you can try this steps

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Select the Print tab.
3. Select the Drawing objects check box (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
I used Paste Special to insert the image. Note that the image is on page. It is the page 15 which is text that is blank.

Gayan Soyza said:
That’s so bad about MS Word?
The largest one is that transferring documents between different versions (or even the same version on different machines) can be a pain. One of the most annoying things that happen to me at work was when someone sent a file written in a font that I didn't have on my computer and MS Word only allowd me read only access, I could read the file but not edit it. I opened up the file in OpenOffice Writer and low and behold it would allow me to both read and write to the file.

The main reason why some companies and government organisations have moved away from MS Office is because their file formats are a trade secret of Microsoft so in effect Microsoft have some property rights over their data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back