Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip Samples Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have just looked at a thred about The Microchip Samples Program. I was wondering if i would be able to get a PIC12F508 and PIC16F505 sample for educational purposes to learn how to program a chip though ASM. I am a student and have just made an account but now im placing an order for samples its asking me for
Code:
Application Category:   	  
Project Description:   	  
Production Target Date:   	  
Current Design Stage:   	  
Annual Production Qty:   	  
Preferred Distributor:

I however just looking for educational purposes do not know what to put. Can anyone help me please

Samples are intended for manufacturers to try out before they place a big order. Why don't you just buy them? Futurlec, eBay, etc. They're not expensive.

if your not that bothered what chip you use give me a pm i have a couple of 16f628A chips you can have, i ordered them from farnel by mistake but your welcome to them

Last edited:
If you have an email address that is not free and fill the questions in as student, educational etc. I think you will get your samples.

Mike.

I really don't get why it's so critical for people to get something for free. For a manufacturer or school, it makes sense to hand out free samples, as there is a good chance of a bulk purchase later, and makes acquiring small quantities easier for them (purchasing, usually involves more than just whipping out the company credit card). Students, usually don't want to cut into the beer fund, most of these chips are under $10. Don't know about PIC prices, but most of the AVR (Tiny) are under $3, that I use.

Basically, if you can't answer the questions honestly, or know that you don't really fit the policy, you should just buy the parts. I've never requested free samples, but have received several over the years, with my orders. Just answer the questions honestly, maybe they'll respect that enough to grant your request, but you should just buy your parts, and you will know they are going to arrive.

in the uk places like farnel have a min order of £20 and to be fair students in the uk have a rought time!
yes i agree that people working or those that cant be arsed to work should pay, but students and young people with very little cash should be helped

I've received Microchip samples in the past. My samples were sent airmail from Asia. For a while they clamped down because samples of three were showing up for sale on ebay.

I'm a hobby builder and still received them.

Give the request a try. Note you are an ".edu" applicant. They have been considerate of student projects.

Hi 3lectrokid,

I see you are from the UK. I have 2 positive suggestions.

1. If you are at school or college, go and talk to one of your Lab Technicians.
They will almost CERTAINLY have a Farnell Commercial account.
If they don't, they should. Farnell do NOT charge postage or have a minimum order quantity. (at least not for my companies account.)

Both PIC12F508 and PIC16F505 are shown as in stock, the cost for the PIC12f508 is 64p and the PIC16f505 is 78p (for the colonialists reading this, 64p is $0.93)
HOWEVER they are both SMD... I.E. Surface Mount Devices...
If you want DIP devices I.E. Plug In, go to the Farnell web site and search for PIC16F54-I/P These are in stock and only cost 57p.. If you have a few more interested friends this drops to 45p each if you buy 10. At that price even a student can afford to blow up a few, AND you will..

2. If you are not in full time education or don't have a tame lab tech to pester, let us know more details.
Is it just for general interest or do you have a project in mind?
If it's interesting project I'm sure there are many people out there who have a heap of components they'd be delighted to donate.
We NEVER order 1 off of anything for prototypes and I'd be delighted to assist....

Hi, Now even if you have got a company or school ID you must pay 7,50$ to them for free samples.
That's right policy because some people just get 'em for their collection and they also sell them in few bucks when their collection is full.
In UK condition is not that good about microchip.
You can sample them at 7,50$ OR contact sells rep. to tell them what kind of prototype you are going for, You will have to go to their office in order to receive them as they will not ship them.
P.S.: Dont abuse Manufacturer's site, they may ban your contries sampling program.

Best of luck.

I ordered samples from them two months ago and haven't seen anything. Just buy it from digikey lest your stuff gets shipped from thailand and takes a week and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back