Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip as a company - my experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

picbits

Well I have to say I've always rated Microchip very highly as a company to deal with.

Samples are easy to obtain and given out with the minimum of fuss.

Datasheets are readily available and while the code can be a little buggy at time and they seem rather slow at admitting fault, you can usually work around most things.

They have their own forums which are just about functional.

Their site is clear and easy to use.

Last support call I had to make to them was back in 2004 when I found some bugs with MPLAB. Support was excellent with fast replies and problems fixed in the next release of the software. I've just put in another two tickets with some recent issues so it will be interesting to see if this is still the case.

Last week I sent off an email to their sales department with a bit of a cheeky request for something. I didn't hear back from them so assumed it had gone in the bin but 20 minutes ago I had a call from an engineer who was very friendly and although they couldn't help with my request had a good chat with me about other issues I've had and overall left me with that nice warm "they care about their customers no matter how small" feeling.

I've been tempted to stray from using PIC microcontrollers in the past but I've always stayed loyal to the Microchip brand.

I always aim to give my customers the best possible service and its nice to see some of the "big boys" in the industry doing the same :)

Thanks Microchip for the years of good service.
Dom

My sentiments exactly. I've had nothing but positive experiences from them. I also go to their seminars from time to time. I've booked the USB one in Toronto for July.

I have nothing but admiration for Microchip, they do a superb job of supplying the student, amateur and professional market. My only gripe is their documentation, it has just gone backward over the last year. Their templates have a tab size of 5 - who on earth thought that was a good idea? Their data sheets now have example code that doesn't work.

In the past I would happily point someone to example code in MC data sheets, now I check the code first.

Whoever they employed about 2 years ago and put in charge of their literature should be demoted. And yes, I'm being kind here.

Mike.
P.S. I just checked and the latest templates seem to have fixed the tab size. The previous versions made me write a code tidier.

I'm a 'newbie' to the Microchip arena, but spent many a happy hour with the Z80/8080 micro's over years ..... I attended (by invitation) one of their 'make you aware' seminars here in the UK, which certainly opened my eyes to what I have been missing over those years (I don't think I'll look at another Micro again).
At the seminar they were 'giving away' PICTSTART PLUS programming kits, and a few 'sample pics' to almost every attendee 'that asked a good question' --- I must have qualified' cause I got one.
I have now 'settled' on the 16F628A for a period, as it does all the 'bits and bobs' that I need at the moment.
But I am (as it appears the rest of you are) well impressed with Microchip as a company, and (as yet) can't fault them ....
Roy

I am new to the PIC thing... just received my PICkit 2 a week ago.

I can only add to the kudos already given to Microchip. While I did have some initial problems with MPLAB, I soon realized the problems were due mainly to my inattention to detail and failure to comprehend the instructions.

When I got my head right, programming with the Microchip system became much easier. LOL.

I have already ordered and received several sample chips, and used them with success with the PICKIT programmer. Assembly language is becoming much easier to work with, now that I understand the basics of the commands.

In short, I can offer nothing but positive comments about Microchip and their system.

There are many tutorials available from MC and other sources. My advice to beginners is to steer away from those which merely show you code and leave you hanging. There are some tutorials which will actually explain why the code works the way it does and explain the process in completing a particular task. Those tutes make the learing easier.

yea just wait till you try buying a pickit2 programmer VAT is 30 % (standard in the uk is 17.5) handling because ordfer is 5 £ short of min (yes a pickit2 is not enough to make a min order) is 5 £ postage 10 £ and it came all the way from tailand by curiour (don't they stock them in the uk ?) one single pickit2 programmer all in all something that was advertised as 25 £ or less came to 40 odd ! I was not impressed and when i told them i thought their sales tactics were devious I got a cheeky replay say oh well try and get it somewhere else cheaper ! natuarally i proceeded to make a number of sample orders

I am disappointed to hear that you had a bad experience Thunderchild, my own experience of Arizona Microchip as a company to deal with has been nothing short of outstanding since I started using their products in the early 90's. Friendly, helpful staff and fantastic support of their products.

If I were to have any axe to grind it would be the same one as everyone is likely to have with such a fast paced technology company, in that the documentation of their products evolves at a pace two steps behind the marketing department's ability to sell them.

I suspect that your higher price has been brought about by customs duty, instead of buying from the site, especially a foreign one, why not look up their UK distributors list and buy one from them. Farnell for instance have it at £18.00 + V.A.T & shipping.
I am at a complete loss to explain your "cheeky reply", it has not been my experience of the company, quite the contrary in fact, however I would be passing it along to their boss and asking them for an explanation.

rgds

I am disappointed to hear that you had a bad experience Thunderchild, my own experience of Arizona Microchip as a company to deal with has been nothing short of outstanding since I started using their products in the early 90's. Friendly, helpful staff and fantastic support of their products.

If I were to have any axe to grind it would be the same one as everyone is likely to have with such a fast paced technology company, in that the documentation of their products evolves at a pace two steps behind the marketing department's ability to sell them.

I suspect that your higher price has been brought about by customs duty, instead of buying from the site, especially a foreign one, why not look up their UK distributors list and buy one from them. Farnell for instance have it at £18.00 + V.A.T & shipping.
I am at a complete loss to explain your "cheeky reply", it has not been my experience of the company, quite the contrary in fact, however I would be passing it along to their boss and asking them for an explanation.

rgds

well unfortunately I don't know who supplies microchip stuff but they do have a UK section and prices were in pounds, I feel that any company advertising things with a price that does not include VAT is a cheat you have to pay VAT so why not put it in the price, the details of handling and transport were only shown at the very last section where i had to confirm the order I was not impressed at all if i get samples they come from microchip UK why does one little programer have to come all the way from tailand ? the general procedure made it look like some chinese company in the back garden, I agree they have a wonderful product range but in this instance i was very dissapointed I was unsure of what i was doing and where to get a programmer and wanted to make sure it was going to work so I went to "the maker" and got throroughly taken the p!ss out of. I'll never buy from them again

well unfortunately I don't know who supplies microchip stuff but they do have a UK section and prices were in pounds, I feel that any company advertising things with a price that does not include VAT is a cheat you have to pay VAT so why not put it in the price

I suggest you stop whinging and try living in the real world!.

Professional and business equipment is ALWAYS priced less VAT, as businesses don't pay it (they claim it back), only domestic equipment is priced VAT inclusive, and is required to be so by law.

A PIC Programmer is a professional or business device, and as such is obviously priced less VAT.

As for postage charges, it's obviously shown right at the end bacause it needs to be calculated from what you have ordered.

well unfortunately I don't know who supplies microchip stuff but they do have a UK section and prices were in pounds, I feel that any company advertising things with a price that does not include VAT is a cheat you have to pay VAT so why not put it in the price, the details of handling and transport were only shown at the very last section where i had to confirm the order I was not impressed at all if i get samples they come from microchip UK why does one little programer have to come all the way from tailand ? the general procedure made it look like some chinese company in the back garden, I agree they have a wonderful product range but in this instance i was very dissapointed I was unsure of what i was doing and where to get a programmer and wanted to make sure it was going to work so I went to "the maker" and got throroughly taken the p!ss out of. I'll never buy from them again

If I am interseted in a product, I look for it, find out what the total cost would be, and then make a decision if I am goint to buy it or not. If I decide it's too expensive, I go for an alternative, I don't go around complaining about the price and saying it's a bad company because it's more expensive than I thought it would be...and remember, you get what you pay for (in most cases :p )

I suggest you stop whinging and try living in the real world!.

Professional and business equipment is ALWAYS priced less VAT, as businesses don't pay it (they claim it back), only domestic equipment is priced VAT inclusive, and is required to be so by law.

A PIC Programmer is a professional or business device, and as such is obviously priced less VAT.

As for postage charges, it's obviously shown right at the end bacause it needs to be calculated from what you have ordered.

and 30 % is normal VAT ? do they need to send them from tailand 1 by 1 ? we are talking about the same huge company aren't we ?

Last edited:
and 30 % is normal VAT ? do they need to send them from tailand 1 by 1 ? we are talking about the same huge company aren't we ?

30% is obviously the VAT rating where you're ordering it from, make sure you order it from the UK where the VAT is 17.5%. Or, ask the seller to export it to you, where VAT doesn't apply, and you pay VAT when it enters the UK.

This was the last invoice I had from them (a couple of weeks ago)

Order Summary

Device Total: 192.30

Shipping: 10.55
Handling: 0.00
VAT: 35.50

Total (GBP): 238.35

£10.55 Shipping and Handling isn't too bad - VAT is about right at 17.5%

Shame the courier just left them sitting on my doorstep as I wasn't in to take delivery :(

I beleived it to be the microchip UK webshop but with a company as large as microchip how am I know where I am "officially" ordering from they can make a uk website but sell you the stuff from another country. I accepted the price the thing cost (there is in effect nothing cheaper and its certainly not going to have compatibility issues) but would have prefered things to be more upfront as far as i remember I tried to find a list of postage costs but there was as little information as possible frankly and no I didn't appreciate there not being a close up image of the thing i was buying.

I beleived it to be the microchip UK webshop but with a company as large as microchip how am I know where I am "officially" ordering from they can make a uk website but sell you the stuff from another country.

If you order from a UK site, you pay UK VAT - if the company dispatches it from another country, then it's sent as an export, and no VAT is charged on it. You will then be charged UK VAT on your order.

If you order (by mistake or otherwise) from another country, they will usually charge you VAT at the rate in their country - unless you arrange it as an export where VAT is applied at the destination.

This isn't something companies can mess with, VAT is a government tax, and is VERY, VERY strictly tracked and administered - with VAT inspectors having powers far above that of the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back