Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip as a company - my experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe no country charges VAT on exports. The UK charges import duty and VAT on imports. Last time I checked (about 10 years ago) the duty on assembled PCB's was 40% although I doubt this would class as an assembled PCB under the anti dumping laws.

I think the 30% is due to you being classed as commercial and so you got charged duty+VAT. Did you put Thunderchild enterprises down as the customer name by any chance?

I have ordered stuff from all over the world (I have to being in Australia) and have never paid any VAT/Duty in any country. Here in Aus, if it's a private purchase and under $1000 then there is no duty or vat (GST here) payable. Where is the wahoo smiley (Homer with arms in air) when you need it.

Mike.

I believe no country charges VAT on exports. The UK charges import duty and VAT on imports.

Only if it's from outside the EU, different members have different VAT rates, and you have the option of paying the rate where the item is sent from - or the item can be 'exported', where you don't pay VAT at the point of origin. But this does mean more paperwork for the sender, and for a small order they probably wouldn't do it.

So if I ordered a product from Spain, I could either pay their VAT rate (whatever it is?), or export it and pay the UK VAT when it gets here. In neither case would import duty apply, because it's from within the EU.

If you order from the USA (or Australia), then you are liable for both VAT and import duty, as they aren't in the EU.

Last time I checked Thailand was definitely outside the EU and so I'm sure import duty and VAT would apply.

Is there any EU country that has VAT at 30%? Here in Aus we have GST (goods and services tax = VAT) at 10% that was introduced about 6 or 7 years ago and everyone is shocked when I tell them it 17.5% in the UK.

Mike.

Last time I checked Thailand was definitely outside the EU and so I'm sure import duty and VAT would apply.

It would if you were ordering it from Thailand, but if you ordered it from an EU country, and they had it dispatched from Thailand the VAT rate where you ordered it would apply.

Is there any EU country that has VAT at 30%? Here in Aus we have GST (goods and services tax = VAT) at 10% that was introduced about 6 or 7 years ago and everyone is shocked when I tell them it 17.5% in the UK.

There might be?, the ROI is higher than the UK, and at one time the UK used to be 25%. At one time if you rented a TV you continued paying VAT at the rate when you started renting it, so for a number of years we had customers paying 10%, 12.5%, 15%, 17.5% and 25% :p

Confusing or what!, but it's been fixed at 17.5% now for a good many years, and that's the only rate.

EDIT:

Just googled, there's a list at European VAT Rates-Value Added Tax and none more than 25%.

Last edited:
I think the 30% is due to you being classed as commercial and so you got charged duty+VAT. Did you put Thunderchild enterprises down as the customer name by any chance?

no I didn't pretend to be a company and as i said i mailed them and mentioned the what I thought to be devious ways of ranking up the price and was basically told to F off ! I only let them beleive i may be a company when getting samples (actually putting "myself" down in the company feild goes just fine !)

IGUS is a plastic's manufacturer, and when I heard of their young engineer assistance program where they give samples to young engineers, I took advantage of it and filled everything out realistic, such as the number of products page. Sure enough they gave me 10 feet of their omni directional cable management system. 10 feet! This is heavy duty plastic too, when I asked for 2 to 5 feet :) maybe they saw 2 sections of 5 feet, but oh well mine now :)

IGUS is a plastic's manufacturer, and when I heard of their young engineer assistance program where they give samples to young engineers, I took advantage of it and filled everything out realistic, such as the number of products page. Sure enough they gave me 10 feet of their omni directional cable management system. 10 feet! This is heavy duty plastic too, when I asked for 2 to 5 feet :) maybe they saw 2 sections of 5 feet, but oh well mine now :)

Ah, you see.. the sample goes further than your house, they just recieved some free advertisement. I think most of these companies sending out samples know that a percentage of the samples will go to people trying their luck, like you and me...hehe

Ah, you see.. the sample goes further than your house, they just recieved some free advertisement. I think most of these companies sending out samples know that a percentage of the samples will go to people trying their luck, like you and me...hehe

just don't go buy some special cutters or something like that from them designed especially for that wire it will probably cost you more than its worth samples are paid for somehow

people say that microchip mcus are more prone to EM phenomena than other mcus like AVR and ARM. what do you say?

people say that microchip mcus are more prone to EM phenomena than other mcus like AVR and ARM. what do you say?

If you think electro magnetic, then this is very interesting topic and should be in detail tested, there was a project(PIC) on my collage which supposed to work in close proximity of >1kW electro motors and failed although it worked in lab environment, but PLC S7-300 and Micromaster worked without a hitch,not that that is weird because they are meant to work in such environment.

But a test of PIC, AVR and ARM would be very interesting!

Last edited:
well in the case of magnetic feilds why not sheild the whole circuit i mean its not just the pic that can be affected but the circuit wires will pick up and produce power l;ike an arial if the EM is strong enough causing any CPU to go haywire. This woukd be an interesting topic for a NEW THREAD

Just got my second set of sample PICs from Microchip. They came from the Thailand warehouse, and were delivered just as scheduled. What a great company. (Shameless plug).

Learning assembly is easy. Learning MPlab is hard.

Only thing, sometimes it's easier to keep head above water with 2 car batteries tied to you feet than understanding their datasheets.

I heartedly agree and very closely behind them in that comes Myke Predko who can't even keep a working e-mail it seems let alone writer a book without using 2 X the necesary words

Last edited:
This was the last invoice I had from them (a couple of weeks ago)

£10.55 Shipping and Handling isn't too bad - VAT is about right at 17.5%

Shame the courier just left them sitting on my doorstep as I wasn't in to take delivery :(
Why UK has such a high custom rate? Isn't it a open-market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back