Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverbullet

My brother just past away and left these "meters" to me and I have no idea what they are or what they do. Can someone please help me with this? Or what to do with them?

Thank you

**broken link removed**

For a start, mentioning your rough location would be a help, notice that in your profile it asks for your location, then everyone knows where you are.

On the shelf:

Wavetek Function Generator and Hewlett Packard Digital Multimeter

On the bench:
Tektronix oscilloscope, in the photo this unit looks "odd" to me, the case does not seem right.

On the Tek Scope:
An extra "plug-in unit for the Tek scope, and a Hewlett Packard oscilloscope.

What do they do? They are electronic test equipment.
What can you do with them? You could sell them.
There may be persons on this board who are interested, the digital multimeter interests me.
However as you are in Florida and I am in Scotland, there is a bit of a problem.
Maybe this is why Nigel suggested filling in your location, I dont know, just a hunch.

JimB

On the shelf:

Wavetek Function Generator and Hewlett Packard Digital Multimeter

On the bench:
Tektronix oscilloscope, in the photo this unit looks "odd" to me, the case does not seem right.

On the Tek Scope:
An extra "plug-in unit for the Tek scope, and a Hewlett Packard oscilloscope.

What do they do? They are electronic test equipment.
What can you do with them? You could sell them.
There may be persons on this board who are interested, the digital multimeter interests me.
However as you are in Florida and I am in Scotland, there is a bit of a problem.
Maybe this is why Nigel suggested filling in your location, I dont know, just a hunch.

JimB

Thank you JimB. I don't mind shipping abroad, I do it all the time. Which part in the photo is the digital multimeter? Is it in the uppermost right corner?

Jack

Last edited:
Yeah the one with the rectangular gray black/white pushbuttons.

If it all works it's worth at least $100's.
Use Bill Effros's method to sell it.

I would be interested in everything but the multi meter.
I dont really need it but come up with a fair price and I will consider it!

At a garage sale you would get maybe $100 for all of it but at the right time and place on eBay you could top $500 or more!

The Tektronix scope on the bottom isn't "odd" -- it's a rack-mount version. I can't see the model number on the front panel (top left of the mainframe control panel), but it will be something like 7xx3, e.g., 7603 or 7613. The first digit (7) indicates the series (7000-series), second digit is the relative bandwidth of the scope (4 ~ 60MHz, 6 ~ 100 MHz, 7 ~ 250 MHz, 8 ~ 400 MHz, 9 ~ 500MHz, 1 ~ 1GHz), the third digit is the mainframe function (0 = standard scope, 1 = bistable storage, 2 & 3 = low and high speed storage, 4 = dual-beam) and the fourth digit is the number of compartments (3 or 4). Three of your plug-ins are vertical preamplifiers and the one on the far right is a single timebase plug-in.

Dean

It' all looks like it's in good shape I would keep it and learn to use it you'll get more out of it that way then selling it for little money. Tools like that take most a life time to get.

Sorry to hear about your brother :( That must hurt and my condolences.

Jack - you might look up nearby amateur radio clubs and make contact with an officer of the club. Quite often they are asked by families to assist in the sale of amateur and electronic equipment. At the very least they help to guide you on the value of the items. Some of them have bulletin boards where the equipment can be posted.

I am sorry about your brother.

Steve, WA2EKL

The Tektronix scope on the bottom isn't "odd" -- it's a rack-mount version. I can't see the model number on the front panel (top left of the mainframe control panel), but it will be something like 7xx3, e.g., 7603 or 7613. The first digit (7) indicates the series (7000-series), second digit is the relative bandwidth of the scope (4 ~ 60MHz, 6 ~ 100 MHz, 7 ~ 250 MHz, 8 ~ 400 MHz, 9 ~ 500MHz, 1 ~ 1GHz), the third digit is the mainframe function (0 = standard scope, 1 = bistable storage, 2 & 3 = low and high speed storage, 4 = dual-beam) and the fourth digit is the number of compartments (3 or 4). Three of your plug-ins are vertical preamplifiers and the one on the far right is a single timebase plug-in.

Dean

Sorry about the blurry photo, but I recorded the model #'s:

1. HP 3466A Digital Multimeter
2. Wavetek Model 142 HF VCG Generator
3. HP 1222A Oscilloscope
4. ? 7633 Oscilloscope
5. Tektronix Dual Trace Amplifier

Jack - you might look up nearby amateur radio clubs and make contact with an officer of the club. Quite often they are asked by families to assist in the sale of amateur and electronic equipment. At the very least they help to guide you on the value of the items. Some of them have bulletin boards where the equipment can be posted.

Steve, WA2EKL

Thanks for the condolences Steve, I'll contact the local radio clubs.

OK. That makes it officially an R7633, Tek's next-to-the-top-of-the-line high speed storage scope. Only the 7834 was a hotter machine. It uses variable persistance storage vs. Tek's original bistable storage and operates in a reduced scan mode for really fast stored writing rates. It has much better single-shot storage capability than most newer digital scopes unless you pay $30,000 for your digital scope.

The other plug-in preamp is probably a 7A26, good for 200MHz operation in a 77xx mainframe but only 100MHz in the 7633 since that mainframe has lower bandwidth. You can use any plug-in, whether amplifier or timebase in ANY compartment. Nice thing about the Tek 7000-series is that you can "hotbox" the plug-ing, that is, install and remove them with the power on with no problems at all. However, no sane person will hotbox a double-wide plug-in such as a logic analyzer or a spectrum analyzer, plug-ins that originally cost more than the mainframe itself.

Check out this site for all kinds of identifying information on your Tek mainframe and plug-in models: **broken link removed**

Dean

Last edited:

Steve, WA2EKL
I second Steve's comments completely. Get the advice of those who know and can check then equipment firsthand for you before selling it. The worst thing you can do is sell your brother's possessions at a fraction of what they're worth. I'm sure he'd wish to see them go to good use and for you to benefit from them in some way. You can even use the sale proceeds towards a memorial for him. There are plenty of unscrupulous technicians that would pull the wool over your eyes. That equipment is top shelf stuff... don't sell yourself or your brother short!

Oh and make sure you even sell that Altoids tin as well. Many electronics tinkers use them for project building enclosures!! ;)

Last edited:
I would still keep them sure wouldn't give them away just this one piece is worth a lot even now.
**broken link removed**
This made me think about mine haven't seen him in a long time I'm real sorry about your
brother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back