Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meters covered per Second question for a Supercar (the 2012 Lamborghini Aventador)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use the equation X=1/2at^2, where x in the length covered. But if you don't know the acceleration curve, you can assume it's constant and obtain a pretty good exitmate. For constant acceleration: a=100/2.9 KPH/s. Make sure all units are the same, such as converting KPH into KPs.

Last edited:
Hi BrownOut

Thanks for your reply. Fact is I hit a blonde moment today. Even with your Formula...I canno't get an answer.

All I need is the approximate distance covered for this vehicle to reach a speed of 100KPH from start. Please work it out for me. I am too dumb right now...

One guy at work worked out some sums and said 80 Meters. I think not. That means that a human can almost beat a Supercar in a sprint :confused:

Regards,
TV Tech

Last edited:
TV Tech,

I am too dumb right now...

It's easy! It is a differential equation problem, but I will work it out using the common formulas for constant acceleration found in any good physics book.

s = ½at² for an initial speed of zero and zero distance from the starting line.
v² = 2as for the vehicle having zero speed at the start.

Two equations, eliminate the "a" variable and get s = ½vt. Plug in the numbers and get ½*(100,000/3600)*2.9 = 40.28 meters in 2.9 seconds. Any human getting that far in almost 3 seconds would be one fast SOB. If you want the acceleration, eliminate "s" from the above equations and get a = v/t = (100,000/3600)/2.9 = 9.58 meters/second², almost the same as Earth's gravity of 9.8 m/sec²

That car has got to rank in class as one of the most unproductive pieces of functional machinery on this planet.

Ratch

Any drag racer or enthusiast will tell you the acceleration is not constant. That is why such race results are given in time and terminal speed over a fixed distance. Time determines the winner. Speed gives you bragging rights.

That can be demonstrated by races between horses and dragsters over short distances or dragsters and fighter jets over longer distances. Still, that is an impressive number for the car.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back