Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarsingla

I just bought this so called metal detector, it has three wires coming out, red, green, black. I tried some testing with battery and a multimeter. No effect of any metal on any voltage. It also attracts iron.. Some guesses about what it is..
Thanx

Attachments

• TMP0A274.jpg
    TMP0A274.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 347
Are there any numbers or identifying marks on it?

A photo which is in focus would help!

JimB

samarsingla said:
I just bought this so called metal detector, it has three wires coming out, red, green, black. I tried some testing with battery and a multimeter. No effect of any metal on any voltage. It also attracts iron.. Some guesses about what it is..
Thanx

Seems to work fine detecting ferrous metals (magnet/iron)... Do you have any data/source for this device? I don't think its a complete metal detector, bit unusal for wand like at the airport or courthouse. The picture isn't very clear, so its a mystery. Any manufactuer markings or numbers?

It might be a sensing coil, which requires an oscillator circuit. Metal alters the inductance of the coil and thus the output frequency shifts. Simplest type of metal detector around.

-First, try to measure the resistance between the wires, this could be a good helpfull for anyone in the forum to help you.. could help us guessing the internal components.. (winding?, ICs?, etc...)

-recalling the basic idea of metal detectors, there is somekind of a transformer and the metal to be detected act as the core of the transformer.. however i don't know how can this be applied given there is only 3 wires in the output...

-Maybe it needs amplification, maybe the signal is changing of some milivolts is the presence of metals... and op-amp would do the job, and would allow you to adjust range/sensitivity ... (i guess)

Thanx people for all your comments. I tried getting a better pic, will post it wen possible. It has TS-Yx7684 very faintly marked on it.
Resistances are...Red to black is 26.5k, red to green is 4.2k and greeen to black is 30.6k...
I searched on google for that but no use. Any more ideas?? How do i go about testing it further??

Last edited:
My best guess is that is something that can be described as a Proximity Sensor.
Look here

for similar sorts of things.

As for the one you have, my best guess is that if you power* it, +ve to Red, -ve to Black, then measure the voltage between black and green while you move a piece of steel near to the end of the sensor. You will see the voltage switch between 0 and the power volts.

*Start at 5volts, if that doesn't work, try 12volts, if that doesn't work try 24volts.

JimB

Last edited:
Ya i tried that but voltage between green and black was the voltage i gave to red. I am confused. The site you told is in German, not sure, and shows some error when I try to see the English version.

I'm pretty sure oznog has it right. I have something similar burried in my driveway. The reason for the 2 coils is to distinguish between in-coming and out-going vehicles. You will have to guess/exoperiment at the resonant frequencies.

What a crappy website! This company doesn't even deserve being mentioned, if it doesn't provide an english website.... guys. We're living in the 21st century!

Not to worry. I've managed to get to the english datasheet of one of these magnetic proximity sensors. Maybe some of these will help. Had to attach them here, because the website is session-based.

Attachments

• 130043_eng.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 109767_eng.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 194
Nope, I'm a german. So I had little trouble browsing this website, but seriously: This world is being globalised, and I myself am attending an apprenticeship to be an electronics technician - a good knowledge of english is one of the first requirements to be accepted in this job. Like it or not: English is important nowadays.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Presumably you're an American?, that sounds like an American attitude.

Now that's not nice.. We are not all like that. I have no stats but I would bet it is a high number though. :D

Also, there are a few web translators out there, I use Google. It is not great, but it works when I need it.

I see a ton of great stuff on German websites. And generally move on. So it would be nice if they were in English, I would learn more myself.

If you guys are getting your knickers in a twist over the P and F website, please be aware that the link which cut and pasted was to an English site.
Why it is is now pointing to a German site I dont know, why the link to the English site wont work I dont know.

Jeez what a bunch of cry-babies!

JimB

mramos1 said:
Now that's not nice.. We are not all like that. I have no stats but I would bet it is a high number though. :D

You're well known for it though! :D

Havig said that, we English are well known for not speaking foreign langnuages, but at least we don't expect all foreigners to speak English - we just speak louder and louder until they understand! :p

Yeah, that's true. I also have quite some friends in England (somewhere in Buckinghamshire), and it's really great how open-minded they all are to other languages. I must say, that not all germans are like that the other way round. Sometimes I feel more home when I'm visiting my friends on the island than here at my real home. But only sometimes... ;)

Odysseas said:
Yeah, that's true. I also have quite some friends in England (somewhere in Buckinghamshire), and it's really great how open-minded they all are to other languages. I must say, that not all germans are like that the other way round. Sometimes I feel more home when I'm visiting my friends on the island than here at my real home. But only sometimes... ;)

True story from a few years back!.

An English guy who worked for Grundig (now defunckt German electronics manufacturer) was travelling down the motorway with a collegue in a hired Mercedes, and was somewhat exceeding the speed limit!.

They were pulled up for the police, and the guy who was driving told his passenger not to say anything - but to pretend he couldn't speak English!.

When the police got to the car the driver spoke to them ONLY in German (he wasn't terribly fluent, but the English police didn't know that), he just jabbered on in poor German dropping the word 'autobahn' frequently.

Eventually the police gave up, pointed to 70mph on the speedo, and gestured not to go above that - the driver said 'ja' a few times, and the police let them go with out being charged!.

Nice scam if you've got the bottle for it!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You're well known for it though! :D

Havig said that, we English are well known for not speaking foreign langnuages, but at least we don't expect all foreigners to speak English - we just speak louder and louder until they understand! :p

Like I said, I am sure the number matching your description is very high. :p

Funny how we all seem to talk louder and some people use their hands as well. And they still do not understand. Here in the States, as we are talking louder, they are shaking their head yes, yes.. Make us fell like they are getting it (they are probably tring to get us to stop and go away)..

Code:
Funny how we all seem to talk louder and some people use their hands as well. And they still do not understand. Here in the States, as we are talking louder, they are shaking their head yes, yes.. Make us fell like they are getting it (they are probably tring to get us to stop and go away)..

I seem to recognize me in this statement. At least sometimes... It's not always easy to understand Buckinghamshire / Oxfordshire dialect if your ear is used to the (almost) clean Hollywood English of Star Trek (I love it!) that you can put subtitles on... But I had quite a few conversations with americans some years back, when my English was but basic - and I could understand them quite well.

Code:
Eventually the police gave up, pointed to 70mph on the speedo, and gestured not to go above that - the driver said 'ja' a few times, and the police let them go with out being charged!.

Nice scam if you've got the bottle for it!.

I've gotta try that the first time I'm caught speeding ;). But we germans are quite used to speeding, maybe because on our 'Autobahnen'/Motorways/Highways there is no general speed limit. I've only had my drivers licence for a few month, so I cannot really afford speading (I'd almost certainly get rid of my licence), but on a 'Bundesstraße' I drive to work on every day, the speed limit is 100 kph (~60mph), but there are few drivers that worry about pushing 70, 80 or even 90 mph... It's like these people hired this road as their personal racing track. It's terrible! And it seems like this attitude also comes to those people that work for a german employer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back