Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Memorex DVD player/Transformer & Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tperk1

Kind of new to electronics, but I am currently at Cincinnati State in the Electronics Engineering program (still taking all the pre-requi$ite$). Anyway, I have The above DVD player opened up; before it quit it made a lot of noise and would get real warm. Now that I'm looking at it: around the board with the Transformer on it, it looks like somebody didn't know how to use a hot-glue gun ( or is this some kind of compound to keep the capacitors from not touching the transformer?. either way they made a mess). Also, one of the 10uf capacitors has what looks like maple syrup coming from the bottom of it. Is that what a blown capacitor looks like? Like I said I'm in school but have yet to take an electronics class.All my knowledge is from books, Internet Tutorials, You-Tube, and taking stuff apart and making simple beginner circuits... Thanks

Some mfgrs. may use glue to anchor large caps in place esp. if the PCB is on the thin side. However goo coming from the bottom of the cap. isn't good and may well indicate electrolyte leakage. I'd remove the cap(s) and inspect them and measure them perhaps using test equip. at your school. If bad, replace them but clean up the board first.

Thank you for your suggestion. I intend to do what you said and if it's not a problem will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again! tperk1

Take a picture of it and post it on here, use 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachments'.

Faulty leaking capacitors is a VERY, VERY common fault, particularly on cheap gear like Memorex.

Curiosity has gotten the better of me. So, i decided to dismantle it for the parts. If everything works as well as in looks - I hit a little Goldmine. also I was really fascinated with the DVD player (class 1 Laser, have to do some reading on that). I was also able to salvage some very useful push buttonswitches, a ton of capacitors, three little motors, LEDs. and more. I've gotten pretty good at de-soldering also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back