Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

member, well known member, most helpful member ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There used to be a "Rep" bar with colours to show how good to others you were... The amount was the posts the colour was the usefulness of the posts... It got stupid so it was removed... The newer style is based on likes!!

Now for the real question...

Is the new system any more worthwhile than the old?

John
It's more descriptive.... 11 block multi coloured bars didn't mean much to me.. The "Most helpful Member" is just an add on... It shows the members that try and help the most... ( I try, as do you )...

There used to be a "Rep" bar with colours to show how good to others you were... The amount was the posts the colour was the usefulness of the posts... It got stupid so it was removed... The newer style is based on likes!!

I think it's supposed to be, but it seems very inconsistent. I think there might be something else still in play that shouldn't be.

I think it's supposed to be, but it seems very inconsistent. I think there might be something else still in play that shouldn't be.
Agreed.

We have had this or similar discussions before, and I have yet to hear any of the administrators or moderators define clearly what the purpose of "likes" is (not what they are intended to mean) in relation to help provided by an individual.

If there is no purpose, but there seems to be a strong desire to keep them, why not have a lottery each January 1 and award "likes" on that basis?

John

I resist the "likes" crap because it is just trying to emulate the stupid @#$%$#@ social media garbage...

I think that's determined by your total number of posts (don't know what that number is).

Just keep hammering away...
I think the remark was an innuendo.... But ho hum!!

I'm with Mike (post #9). All this 'likes' stuff is childish, and for people on ego trips. In my book it's in the same category as 'selfies'.

I think the remark was an innuendo.... But ho hum!!

Er.. excuse me .. ! How could you think such a thing of me ??

I genuinely meant that to be accepted in here as a well known member would be an accolade I'd be proud of !!

Had I wished to imply the innuendo to which your suspicious nature has leapt, I would have said something like ' One of my ambitions ... is to POSSESS or HAVE or OWN a 'Well Known Member !!

Mortified, that's what I am, mortified !! :)

S

I couldn't join in because I was Xmas shopping in Bristol UK- great fun.

Thanks to you all for the posts. Afraid to say I'm non the wiser though :wideyed:

Could I ask two questions:

(1) is it an automated system or is there human input.

(2) I was amused to see that one day I was a most helpfull member, and about 2 weeks later I wasn't and had slso reverted to simple member- why? I'm not worried about this because I'm too old- just intrigued, especially as I had been 'helping' as ever before. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That was my impresssion. Could the rating be proportonal to (number of likes-number of dislikes)/number of posts.

Before registering with ETO I used to read the site quite a bit, often when the TV threw a big end or the wife put the TV controller on the cooker ring etc. So I would Google for a solution and guess what...a post on ETO would pop up. I used to see, 'Super Moderator' 'Most Helpful Member' and all. I was greatly impressed by this, so the BS does work. I was even more impressed when the information got the problem fixed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back