Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Completely ignore member - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No longer out of date...We have the ability to ban replies of certain members from certain threads.

HOWEVER!! I must always stress this.. This is, and will always be, a public forum... I take the good and the bad... I suggest most members do the same.

If you need to ignore someone, then just ignore them.. No need for tools to do the job.... Trols trol because they get a kick out of your discomfort. they will wait for a bite and reel you in.... Simple answer is don't... If someone tries to trash your thread, just NEVER respond... Hit the report button and let me do the nasty bit... Most of the time I contact the individual and it'll stop...

No one can tell what fruitcake is behind the avatar... Most of the time some will sit waiting all day for a simple gesture that their comment has been ingested.. If not Mr angry comes out and the trol leaps out.. On AAC they put " Remember the human, Be courteous when replying" just reply with thanks and leave it there...

I've been suspended in the past for being rude to another member (didn't think I was, but another story). Then a member is rude to me and I'm told "suck it up buttercup"!!!!! Where is the balance?

Mike.

I've been suspended in the past for being rude to another member (didn't think I was, but another story). Then a member is rude to me and I'm told "suck it up buttercup"!!!!! Where is the balance?

Mike.
I wouldn't suspend ANYONE with having a conversation first... Bet you can't tell me the MOD who did this??? ( I think I know, but I have to be impartial )

It was a few (may be 4 or more) years ago so can't remember but find it a bit squewiff (sp?) when I'm on the receiving end and NOTHING is done. Seems there are a few other members with the same problem but that's OK, suck it up buttercup again.

Mike.

Mike.
How did you get unsuspended? I thought bans were permanent (based on info in this sub-forum)?

No longer out of date...We have the ability to ban replies of certain members from certain threads.
If you need to ignore someone, then just ignore them.. No need for tools to do the job.... Trols trol because they get a kick out of your discomfort. they will wait for a bite and reel you in.... Simple answer is don't... If someone tries to trash your thread, just NEVER respond... Hit the report button and let me do the nasty bit... Most of the time I contact the individual and it'll stop...
I'm not speaking of someone that makes one OT comment or joke. I'm talking about a member or members that repeatedly post OT and/or useless comments. Comments that are not even with the 10 seconds it takes to read them.

Again.... I don't shy away from full frontal conversations... I'll only ban when all points are exhausted ... All I can say is.. Just remember that as soon as one goes, another appears... It's been an ongoing up hill battle.. Let's just assume a member has Autism or Aspergers.. Not their fault and also not yours.. But people with Aspergers can come across downright rude, but they don't see why others get shirty... Just an example..

Again.... I don't shy away from full frontal conversations... I'll only ban when all points are exhausted ... All I can say is.. Just remember that as soon as one goes, another appears... It's been an ongoing up hill battle.. Let's just assume a member has Autism or Aspergers.. Not their fault and also not yours.. But people with Aspergers can come across downright rude, but they don't see why others get shirty... Just an example..
I have dealt with volunteer organizations for decades. The comment I make is "if you have everyone leave that is a 'pain' the next thing you will notice, you are the only one left". But at the same time, when I ignore someone, I ignore someone. Hence my reasoning for (re)starting this conversation. My goal was to ignore them (not see, smell, nor feel them).

"if you have everyone leave that is a 'pain' the next thing you will notice, you are the only one left"
Exactly... Some of these "pains" are pretty good with quite a few subjects... There is a guy ( we all know him ) that appears to drink whilst on ETO ( or at least that's what I gather ) because his temperament changes to " everyone not from my country sucks" kinda attitude..
But it is what it is and these people have the same rights we do...

I wish some would be more forgiving to their fellow electronic enthusiasts...

I have dealt with volunteer organizations for decades. The comment I make is "if you have everyone leave that is a 'pain' the next thing you will notice, you are the only one left".
Same scenario with Church organizations.
Or work places. Or schools.

It is part of the complex human nature.

Prior to joining, I was warned of comments like

which explains why there is a split opinion out there on this forum. Some really super helpful, knowledgable, and smart members; and a lot more that...well...aren't. Just saying.

Sorry. OT.

Well I guess I have to speak up again. You don't think haveing "many" on an ignore list in 2 years makes you wrong? Take your posing on 4 foot LED bulbs, you get some good info, from a mod no less, and yet you tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. Your other thread about project boxes, you ask for help and non of the answers are what you want to hear. So you pick a fight with someone asking for more information. some times people need to stand back and look at the big picture.

Guess I'm the new one on your *list*.

Well I guess I have to speak up again. You don't think haveing "many" on an ignore list in 2 years makes you wrong? Take your posing on 4 foot LED bulbs, you get some good info, from a mod no less, and yet you tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. Your other thread about project boxes, you ask for help and non of the answers are what you want to hear. So you pick a fight with someone asking for more information. some times people need to stand back and look at the big picture.

Guess I'm the new one on your *list*.
I'm sorry to say that responses like this are far more prevalent on ETO than any other forum I am a member or mod. The flip side is the good information provided here is really good. There are just so many of these to wade through to read the good stuff. Some members just repetitively post non-sequitors and irrelevent remarks to the thread. I have been trying to ignore members where I have yet to find a relevent post to speed up getting to the good stuff.

Regarding project boxes, the original ask was for sources and methods. Of 31 posts, 4 relevant answers plus 3 looking for more information that does not effect answering the original question (ie., tangent of finding an exact box opposed to providing sources). There could have been less irrelevent answers if I had not taken some of the bait, I admit.

I did not tell Nigel "he doesn't know what he's talking about" I simply informed him there were more than the types he was aware of "As far as I'm aware there are basically two types of LED florescent replacements:" - Nigel; to which he concurred " Your type 4 of course isn't a replacement T-8 tube " aka one of the types he was aware of. Now he knows of two more types, and I have learned something of the types he was aware of. No issues. Just had to get on the same page. A few items given to check, but only having access to a meter limited the accuracy and amount I could check. Still no conclusion to the problem. Oh well.

Last edited:
At the risk of being put on everybody's ignore list.
I share this.

Desiderata

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

By Max Ehrmann © 1927

This still holds true today.

Perhaps if your questions don't get the responses you seek, your questions are too vague or lacking in details.

Or, perhaps someone is attempting to answer a specific question more generally to expand your base of knowledge and to provide information to other readers of the post who may have similar needs.

I have been trying to ignore members where I have yet to find a relevent post to speed up getting to the good stuff.

That's where it is up to YOU to not read the response, not the forum software to keep it from your eyes. On another note, all answers here or anywhere else online, are only worth the price you pay for them.

Thanks Inquisitive for your post.
I had heard about this in the 1970s, but for the life of me I could not remember its name and thus able to re-read it.

A very powerful poem, thanks for posting it.

Thought it would fit.

On the other hand check out National Lampoon's - Deteriorata the parody to Desiderata

:p:p
Courtesy of Google, there it is;

You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata. Deteriorata.
Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
And despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.
You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.
Remember The Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself.
If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you -
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.
Therefore, make peace with your god,
Whatever you perceive him to be - hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up!
The universe is laughing behind your back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back