Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the speed of electrons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want something cheap and cheerful, to quote your tag "good enough", it would be used infrequently and mainly to check if there is enough cat5 cable in the box for a particular job so I would only need a rough guide, maybe 5% or even 10% would probably be an accepable error since the boxes have 305 meters to begin with.

Last time I had a box of cat5 it had the start and end number on the box. Then on the cable was a number every meter. Subtract the number on the cable from the box end number = cable length left in box.

Mike.

Depending on the cable length, the phase change may go through several iterations and I see no way to know which iteration your looking at.
The TDR is the best method I know of.

Yes that does occurr to me as well, but you could choose a wavelength that would give enough range of measurement for the lengths of cable you're likely to measure. If a sensible wavelength is chosen then you'd need a very long cable indeed for a full 360 degree phase shift...A TDR is of course the best option, but the equipment is expensive and the original question concerns is a budget project method of testing.Brian

Last time I had a box of cat5 it had the start and end number on the box.
(Slap my forehead) of course!

And I've used the same markings to 'measure' the length of existing runs where I want to add more parallel cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back