Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

I want to use an electret mike and a VU meter to measure the level of an audio signal (between 100Hz to 4Khz) and an ultrasonic signal (between 30kHz to 55kHz).
What do you think of using just ONE electret mike and a couple of VU meters and a filter to do so?

Thanks

Attachments

• aaaaa.PNG
    aaaaa.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Hi and thanks.

Yes there are some electeret mikes capable of covering the said frequency.

So can you guys help me about the cut-off frequencies and the filter type (active or passive) for this job plz?
I think I need a low pass filter for the audio measuring and a high pass one for the ultrasonic, right?

Hi and thanks.

Yes there are some electeret mikes capable of covering the said frequency.

So can you guys help me about the cut-off frequencies and the filter type (active or passive) for this job plz?
I think I need a low pass filter for the audio measuring and a high pass one for the ultrasonic, right?

Yes, you need active ones.

There are plenty of sites that have either applications or programmes for designing filters - you can even download one from MicroChip.

I have never heard of an electret mic that has documented output from 30kHz to 55kHz.
Which one did you find and please post or link to its datasheet.

Gurue,

Plz take a look at the below links, at least 2 of them are condenser mikes:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

http://www.avisoft.com/usg/microphones.htm

I think that I have seen a 60kHz band width eleteret mike made by Panasonic, But unfortunatelyI can not remember the part number.

Gasp, cough, choke.
Two thousand, eight hundred English Pounds!!

They are condenser mics that are powered from a 48V supply. An electret mic has the 48V built-into the electret material.

Actually I am using "MCE-2500" electeret capsule mike as there are some reports in the net indicating that the said mike is able to cover 60KHz (the datasheet does not say anything about the ultrasonic spectrum of the said mike though).
I just wanted to tell that there are ELECTERET mikes covering higher frequencies in the market as GURU requested.

They don't say so but I think the Holosonics Spotlight speakers operate with ultrasonics and a special processor so that a narrow ultrasonic beam aimed at an object or at a person causes interferences that is demodulated when it strikes the object or the person.

Your ultrasonic mic will pickup the processed ultrasonics. If you slow down the playback then the frequencies will be reduced so that you can hear them but I don't think it will sound like slow speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back